What is this guy thinking

Yea, I've seen that trick also. Almost makes ya feel sorry for the lowballers. I hate to see anyone not get paid, Lord knows I've chased my share of money. That bein said if everyone would get on the same page, we would all make more money. Oh well it'll level off again someday it always does. Someone mentioned Illegals above, They are the only hitch in this leveling off, till they're gone it will always be a cut throat business. When I was just a cub the old journeymen types used to say "boy one of these days we'll be makin money like doctors and lawyers! Kids these days are lazy and with computers comin in why would anyone want to do this when they could start for the same money and sit behind a desk?" Those old dudes were pretty smart but what they didn't count on was the endless supply of Illegals and the money mans ability to exploit it.

Around me you can find a lot of guys who will take the job at too little money. Problem is, as soon as they have enough in their pocket for gas, cigarettes and beer, they are gone with job unfinished and a mess left behind. Sadly, there are too many people hiring that kind who do not know how to interview or screen out the unreliables.

Around me you can find a lot of guys who will take the job at too little money. Problem is, as soon as they have enough in their pocket for gas, cigarettes and beer, they are gone with job unfinished and a mess left behind. Sadly, there are too many people hiring that kind who do not know how to interview or screen out the unreliables.

And than don't have the money to hire some one to do the job right.:doh:

I dont think the carpentry/contracting business is immune from this horrible economy.
Personally, I am currently taking a huge reduction in my own salary to keep my business floating along.(nothing to do with contracting) I cant reduce the staffs salary(nor would I) and I dont want to lay anyone off, since Im almost at skeletal crew size.
Id rather see my staff paid and happy because it makes for better business in the long run.
Ive had a long go at good business, so Im prepared for some poor times.
I feel alot of contractors are just trying to keep their employees working and worry a bit less about turning over any profit on jobs now just to keep their business alive.
things can pick up. If you decided to let go of staff, or ask for reduction in their salaries, you can lose them, and that could cost you later on if business picks up.

And I still have, make that had, a contractor who takes the job, sets a date to begin, and I haven't heard from him since. No money had changed hands, but a bid price was agreed upon. He was to have been here a week ago. I stripped the kitchen empty in preparation - no small task. Tomorrow someone else is coming to look at the job.

Color me furious!

And I still have, make that had, a contractor who takes the job, sets a date to begin, and I haven't heard from him since. No money had changed hands, but a bid price was agreed upon. He was to have been here a week ago. I stripped the kitchen empty in preparation - no small task. Tomorrow someone else is coming to look at the job.

Color me furious!

I can be there next week:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Remove all the now empty kitchen cabinets.

Reducing a door open from 48" to 36" for a bi-fold door into the furnace/water heater closet with the attendant dry wall and texturing work.

Bumping out an exterior wall to create a cubby for the refrigerator to fit into.

Changing out the kitchen window to a thermopane, moving its location, and making it bigger.

Exterior walls are T-111. Interior walls are sheet rock.

Swapping the positions of the sink and the dishwasher to gain counter space next to the refrigerator.

Attendant electrical and plumbing work. Its all "there", just needs some rearranging. House is on stem walls and access underneath is roomy.

Ceiling light is falling off and needs the ceiling repaired.

That will leave me with building new cabinets, ordering a new countertop, rebuilding the pantry, painting, redoing lighting, and bunch of that sort of stuff.

Also the exterior trim needs finished painting. Remember I fell of the ladder last fall and broke a rib in my back attempting that job.

And the porch needs new railing and a set of stairs.

Deadline is before Easter.

I have all the tools necessary. Even the knowledge and experience. Just no longer the back or endurance.

If you are wanting to escape the Maine winter, be aware it is currently snowing and the wind is blowing 40 MPH. I know, it doesn't hold a candle to Maine winters, but it is annoying me mightily!

I do fear your transportation costs would push this project out of my budget though - unless you come with a "Scotty, beam me up" function. :rofl:

But you did ask!