Ash & Ebony Hollow Form

Couple of firsts for me - first time turning Ash and the first time turning Ebony. I really like the color of the Ash but found it likes to chip out on the edges. The Ebony was amazing to turn! Very strong and dense wood that takes detail work exceptionally well! I can understand why everyone likes using Ebony for finials!

The Ash hollow form has a little spalting, some curl, couple of worm holes, a void and lots of rich color variations. It is 6" diameter x 8" to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Sanded to 400 grit and has a few coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly.

Ash v1.JPG Ash v2.JPG Ash v3.JPG Ash v4.JPG Ash v5.JPG

As always, I appreciate your opinions, critiques and comments!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Last edited:
Not much to critique there, Steve. Looks awesome. :thumb: I like the sunken ball in the finial, as well as the slanted tip (a la Keith Burns, with some originality thrown in). If I had to pick nits, I'd say the bottom of the vessel would look good a bit smaller, but it looks mighty fine as it is, too. Very well done, man. :clap:

Thanks guys!

Vaughn - that's not nit-picking - that's accurate! Funny how things look while still on the lathe! I was more focused on the finial this time around and was designing it in my head as I turned the HF. Yup, it's always something!

Love that piece of Ash you used. How did I know that when I saw your name on this thread I would open it only to find a very nice piece? Beautiful work, Steve.