Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: refinished doors don't fit

refinished doors don't fit

As part of a remodel, I removed two glass French doors and used paint stripper to remove the old paint. I then sanded to raw wood and applied an undercoat and two layers of finish paint. I installed new satin nickel 4Ē hinges. The hinges didnít line up perfectly and had to loosen the screws in the jamb bracket to get the doors reinstalled. Now the doors donít close properly. The doors rub against each other. Iíve rechecked the proper installation of the hinges. The upper and lower jamb locks on the inactive door donít slide into their mortises. What has happened to these doors? Is it possible that the new hinges are just slightly wider, thereby causing the doors to rub. How do I fix the doors?
    Should I rip a small amount of the door so they close. If so which door and do I rip the hinge side or the side where the doors rub?
    Suggestions appreciated.

Bob
    San Diego

Bob, some pics would help

Is this in your home or a customer's home?

can you make the mortises in the door and frame a bit deeper?

Is it possible that the new finish is just the much thicker compared to the old finish, that could have been rubbed off over the years?

How much are they out?

Is it possible that you have the door on the wrong sides, maybe the one on the left came from the right side?

You can certainly make them fit, but the easiest and or best way could be a combination of things.

I'm sure someone else will chime in too.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Agree some pics would help. As the hinges were changed, a lot could change based on their installation. Are the pivot point and offset the same now as the previous hinges? If so then we focus on correcting whatever happened to the door, more likely we probably want to focus on whether adjusting the hinge position would be easier than modifying the door.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My best guess is that the hinges are standing proud of the doors and door jam.
    If the hinges are not flush they will move the door to the left/right respectively. So lets say they stand proud by 1/32 . Ok that's 1/32 on the door and 1/32 on the jam there's 1/16 do that again for the other door and you have 1/8 inch. If the doors only had an 1/8 inch gap to start than you have used it up and they will rub.
    Note some french door hinges have a depth adjustment built into them just for moving the doors left and right.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 02-15-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Finding the problem is first priority, but don't overlook the general rule that doors are normally trimmed on the hinge side, not where you might mess up latching mechanisms.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Tripple ditto need for pics.
    Will echo Chuck and Stu. Strong possibility the problem can be solved with a chisle deepening the mortise for the hinge plate.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

refinished doors don't fit

I think I have narrowed the problem down to the new hinges. The new satin nickel hinges are 1/32" in thickness wider (fully closed) than the old hinges. This makes a difference of 1/16" with both doors.
    I need to re-mortise the hinges. Question...do I re-mortise the jamb side or the door? Do I use a router or a sharp chisel. I prefer the router to maintain consistent depth. How do you re-mortise in a jamb with the stop trim on. i don't really want to remove since it is a fully painted. I need to make some sort of jig. Any suggestions?

Bob
    San Diego

You will need to do both the jamb and the door. I can't help you with the router Out of the thousands of doors I have done I've never used any thing other than a chisel.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Good sharp chisel and go slow. Works everytime.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'm with Chuck and Steve, sharp chisels,You can cut them in less time then it would take just to get the router out , find the right bit and plug it in.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward