For Rob and Larry...Staining of Maple with Chemicals

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Rob,Last week, in another thread, you asked me about using several chemicals on Maple.Here's a test board I made over the weekend. It's a piece of (not very good) curly maple, with the three chemicals I mentioned - BiChromate of Potash - a Liberion Finishes product;Potassium Permanganate - Got mine at Sears, and;Household Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) - from the hardware store.There's no finish on any of the samples - just the chemicals mixed in warm water, painted on, and allowed to dry.

Attachments

• ALL.JPG
    ALL.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 104
  • BiChr.JPG
    BiChr.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 103
  • K Per.JPG
    K Per.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 98
  • lye.JPG
    lye.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 97
Wow Thank you very much Jim. I had absolutely no idea this was possible. Thanks for all the effort i am sure it helped clear a great deal up for many more than i. And to think the drain cleaner would make grain pop so well.:thumb:

Larry,
Here are the oak pictures, and some cherry, too.

Apologies for the oak being plainsawn, and not quartersawn. I couldn't fine any QS laying about...

The Lye is spectacular on the cherry, but it sure doesn't make the oak look good! It leaves a mottled greenish undertone that I don't like. First time I ever tried lye on oak. (Probably the last time, too...)

The other two chemicals both reacted nicely with both woods.

Attachments

• Oak & Cherry.JPG
    Oak & Cherry.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 66
  • BiChromate of Potash.JPG
    BiChromate of Potash.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Potassium Permanganate.JPG
    Potassium Permanganate.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Lye.JPG
    Lye.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Jim. Just a question that this prompts is what do you put over it as a finish. Does something like this have to be sealed first with say Shellac and then further finishing and i presume it has to dry well before any application with it being essentially water based?

The world of finishing oh boy still got to conquer that one. Its a bit like sharpening i would imagine.:)

Thanks Jim. Just a question that this prompts is what do you put over it as a finish. Does something like this have to be sealed first with say Shellac and then further finishing and i presume it has to dry well before any application with it being essentially water based?

The world of finishing oh boy still got to conquer that one. Its a bit like sharpening i would imagine.:)

Rob,
I seal nearly everything I make with a coat of shellac, so I'm not really the best person to ask. :D

I can't see where you'd have a problem with any film finish (varnish, Poly, etc.) over any of these chemicals, though. Once they've dried, you can sand (lightly!) and finish with whatever you prefer.

Some folks have said the Lye should be neutralized with vinegar before finishing, but I've never seen the need for that. Once the chemical action has stopped, and the piece has dried, the Lye seems to be 'self-neutralizing.' YMMV... :)