Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Gloat

Pre-Gloat

I hope pre gloats are allowed! Do you guys think I got a deal? Received this in an email today. Free shipping!

FedEx should be delivering it in a couple days. Now I have to figure out how to make it release some of those nice objects you guys get out of a piece of wood!

Ed

Nice. Not sure though if a pre gloat is legit. Now if you don't follow up with a pic inclusive gloat the whole thing will be VOID.
    Jim

Congrats Ed! I've got the VS version of that it's performed well! Post photos when it arrives!

Thanks guys. Don't worry Jim, I'll get the official pics when it arrives. I just got excited when the LOML said OK! I don't have much in the way of gouges, just an old set my dad gave me, but I don't know what I'm doing yet anyway. I'll have to see if anyone in the area is willing to give some pointers.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    singing "another one bits the dust...another one bits the dust"...

Now get the harbor freight set of high speed turning tools for $40. part number 47066-40GA Attachment 3851 Make sure it that model number they have cheaper version (believe it or not) and they ain't worth the price. Also if you don't have one get a white or pink wheel for your bench grinder and you'll be set to get started..

Oh and kiss your tools budget good buy cause your gonna need
    1. a chuck
    2. more turning tools
    3. a band saw (if you don't have one)
    4. a chain saw (if you don't have one)

and the list goes on and on..

Congrats and welcome to the vortex..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Conditional congratulations! (Conditional on us actually seeing the lathe in question). Don beat me to the suggestion for the HSS turning set from Harbor Freight. More than a few guys have gotten their money's worth out of that set. The proper wheel for your grinder will make a lot of difference, too. And you'll eventually probably want to make or buy a grinding jig, or at least most folks seem to. Then a chuck will not be far behind.

While you have your camera out taking pics of your new lathe, take a few of the money in your wallet, too, because that's probably the last time you'll see that much cash for a while. And you'll love every minute of being broke. (Then before you know it, you'll be selling pens or bottle stoppers to buy your next lathe goodie. I just recently spent more for a hollowing rig than I did for both my lathes combined, but it was paid for mostly with pen sales.)

Welcome to the vortex!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys.

Vaughn, my wallets already empty, I may be in trouble

Thanks for the HF tip. They just opened another one closer to home. I have a slow speed grinder that I got from Woodcraft a while back, so I think I'm set on that. The chuck is something I'll have to look into.

Don, I do need a chainsaw for a large oak that needs to come down in the backyard that's leaning the wrong way and has one large branch, also the wrong way.

It's Official!

The lathe arrived today!

Now I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I have never actually turned anything, but I did manage to find this in a piece of walnut.

I think I did OK, but I definitely need some schooling! I think I am going to sign up for a class at Woodcraft.

Ed

Looking good!

Books and videos may help you a lot too.

I love Richard Raffan's books...check them at Amazon (Turning Wood, Turning Bowls, and Turning Boxes)

Bill Grumbine's videos are also neat to have.
    -------------------------

Dario

http://www.aoturnings.com/

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Super and the bonker you turned in the first pics qualifies, welcome to the abyse.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward