Pre-Gloat

Ed Nelson

I hope pre gloats are allowed! Do you guys think I got a deal? Received this in an email today. Free shipping!

jetminilathe1-24-07.jpg

FedEx should be delivering it in a couple days. Now I have to figure out how to make it release some of those nice objects you guys get out of a piece of wood!

Ed

Thanks guys. Don't worry Jim, I'll get the official pics when it arrives. I just got excited when the LOML said OK! I don't have much in the way of gouges, just an old set my dad gave me, but I don't know what I'm doing yet anyway. I'll have to see if anyone in the area is willing to give some pointers.

singing "another one bits the dust...another one bits the dust"...:thumb:

Now get the harbor freight set of high speed turning tools for $40. part number 47066-40GA 47066.gif Make sure it that model number they have cheaper version (believe it or not) and they ain't worth the price. Also if you don't have one get a white or pink wheel for your bench grinder and you'll be set to get started..

Oh and kiss your tools budget good buy cause your gonna need
1. a chuck
2. more turning tools
3. a band saw (if you don't have one)
4. a chain saw (if you don't have one)

and the list goes on and on..:D

Congrats and welcome to the vortex..

Conditional congratulations! (Conditional on us actually seeing the lathe in question). :) Don beat me to the suggestion for the HSS turning set from Harbor Freight. More than a few guys have gotten their money's worth out of that set. The proper wheel for your grinder will make a lot of difference, too. And you'll eventually probably want to make or buy a grinding jig, or at least most folks seem to. Then a chuck will not be far behind.

While you have your camera out taking pics of your new lathe, take a few of the money in your wallet, too, because that's probably the last time you'll see that much cash for a while. And you'll love every minute of being broke. :D (Then before you know it, you'll be selling pens or bottle stoppers to buy your next lathe goodie. I just recently spent more for a hollowing rig than I did for both my lathes combined, but it was paid for mostly with pen sales.) ;)

Welcome to the vortex! :wave:

Thanks guys.

Vaughn, my wallets already empty, I may be in trouble:doh:

Thanks for the HF tip. They just opened another one closer to home. I have a slow speed grinder that I got from Woodcraft a while back, so I think I'm set on that. The chuck is something I'll have to look into.

Don, I do need a chainsaw for a large oak that needs to come down in the backyard that's leaning the wrong way and has one large branch, also the wrong way.

It's Official!

The lathe arrived today!

IMAG0451.jpg

Now I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I have never actually turned anything, but I did manage to find this in a piece of walnut.

IMAG0453.jpg

I think I did OK, but I definitely need some schooling! I think I am going to sign up for a class at Woodcraft.

Ed

Looking good!

Books and videos may help you a lot too.

I love Richard Raffan's books...check them at Amazon (Turning Wood, Turning Bowls, and Turning Boxes)

Bill Grumbine's videos are also neat to have.

Yep, now it's a gloat. As far as taking a class, I highly suggest it before you try something that shouldn't be done. When I got my lathe I was really scared of it since every time I got on it something happened. Then I took a WC class and things afterward looked much better and I was able to relax a little more. A single class will really help in the confidence department.

Thanks guys. Gotta say, this is fun!:D I have payed a lot of attention in the past on some of the tv shows like NYW when they have done some turning and other places, so I don't think I was going in completely blind. The gouge I was playing with did grab a couple times so I do need to refine technique. Thanks for the suggestions on the books, and I will likely look into them, but I am more of a hands on guy and the class will probably be my best bang for the buck.

Hi Ed, just a couple comments. If I had a set of turning tools my Dad gave me, I'd make a wall case for them with a glass cover to remember him. I'm sentimental that way.
BTW - You just got the lathe... your spindle work looks a lot better than mine.:thumb:
Mike

Thanks Mike.

The tools dad gave me are nothing special and don't have any real sentimental value, other then me getting to use them! Dad never did much turning, but he had acquired an old Dunlop (Craftsman?) lathe and the tools. I also have the Dunlop, but it needs a little TLC. If I like playing with the Jet, I'll see about getting the old one up and running for larger stuff!

Thanks for the compliment. I was playing around when I got the lathe. The small piece that is in the lathe was a piece of poplar and then I tried a piece of walnut my FIL gave me.

By the way, I found the importance of a face shield last night. I was playing with some face turning and a nice size chunk broke off and hit the shield right in front of my left eye:eek: To quote the Monkeys, "Now I'm a believer!"

Hi Ed,

You mean those old tools I gave you were sharp enough to do that. I think I still have another set down in the shop. I coulldn't have given you the best set, Or maybe I had a soft heart.:wave: ::wave: