Things are TOUGH here in the Great Lakes State. Work has been pretty much non-existent lately and I was sick of sitting around worrying about where my next work was coming from so I decided to use up some scrap I had laying around and do something constructive.
A few years ago I bought a vinyl cutter to do some sign work on the side. I've used it quite a bit and it's a really nice thing to have. It's even come in handy because I've been doing custom decals for the members of another site that I'm a member of. One problem I had though was a work station. I have had the cutter set up on top of a sink base cabinet that I bought cheap at the BORG. It worked OK but was too tall. I used to keep my printer on the shelf inside but it wasn't very efficient because I had nowhere to store my vinyl stock. For years I've had rolls standing on end in the closet. They get in the way all the time and they're a pain. Well I did some brainstorming and solved both problems with one quick and easy project. I made a new stand for the cutter which is a better height and it also allows me to store twelve rolls of vinyl directly beneath the cutter. This way it takes up less space and keeps the vinyl from getting damaged. The good part is that I had almost everything I needed already sitting around. I was going to use 1/2" hardwood dowels for the rods but I had a scrap piece of 1/2" thin wall conduit that worked great. I just had to pick up a couple more ten footers and cut them to length and I was good to go. The conduit was much cheaper than the dowels too. Less than four bucks for enough to do the job and twelve dowels would have cost about a buck and a half a piece.
Anyway, I got it all set up and ready to go and can't wait to start using it. I think things will be much easier now. I only wish I'd done this a long time ago. Here are a couple pics....
At least it gave me something to do for a few hours to get my mind off of this LOUSY economy!