Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto question

Auto question

A question for you auto mechanic types. I had to replace a brake line on my old woods truck and I can't get the bleeders open. Anyone know a trick to get badly rusted bleeders to move? I sprayed them down with PB Blaster last night to see if that might help loosen them.

I wondered if you might have to drill them out?

I don't like the idea of sticking a torch on them with the brake line so close and rubber diaphrams on the brake cylinder.

I too would be very leery to put a torch on them, but maybe a heat gun?
    If I were going to have to drill them out I think I'd want to pull the whole thing off and do it on the drill press, I think it would be very challenging to try and drill it on your back under the truck.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Heat is usually a great help. But a well fitting wrench and sustained pressure will also work. Not a straining force or jerk but long constant sustained force. I have used this method often on bolts that are over tightened or rusty or even Lock-tite secured. one technition rounded an allen wrench on a set screw, I took a new wrench and applied sustained pressure for about two full minutes and it let go.

Try this. It do work. An olde dude larned me this trick after a couple of knuckle bustings.

Make sure to use a 6 point CLOSED end wrench NOT an open one also

Woods trucks don't have no brakes.
    It's the other guys responsibility to git out of the way.
    Seriously, I really think that is the case 90% of the time.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank, Tell that to my wife. She was driving the truck home from work in a snow storm when the brake line finally rusted through. Went right through a stop sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Frank, Tell that to my wife. She was driving the truck home from work in a snow storm when the brake line finally rusted through. Went right through a stop sign.
    Did everyone else git outa the way?
    See, it works.

Seriously, glad she is OK.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Now see this is where the problem lies Woods truck don't have brakes. That what trees are for It should also be noted that woods trucks don't belong on the road that's why they are woods trucks
    You can try bleeding it at the line some times this works some times it don't. But I would give it a try before braking the bleeder off.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I hate to admit this but I have broke a few bleeders off. I have found most brake cylinders are reasonable anymore that fighting them isn't worth the trouble. Of course this has been on 1/2 ton and smaller. I have rarely found sustained force to work I usually find impact to work the best, The problem is these bleeders are awful small. Good luck... Also check n what a new cylinder costs you might be surprised..

Garry

Looks like new brake cylinders is the only way. The bleeders are looking a bit rounded. Probably end up re-doing the whole shootin match before I get done. I hate it when you go to fix a little thing and you open a can of worms that got left out in the hot sun for a day. Heck I might even get the park brake fixed.