View Poll Results: Should I get a dog against LOML decision?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • By no means, you'll risk your marriage.

5 15.63%
  • Yes, she'll love it after a couple of days

5 15.63%
  • Try to convince her if you can

14 43.75%
  • Forget about the dog, after all it will take woodworking time from you

8 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should or shouldn't I...?

Should or shouldn't I...?

Well guys this may be long but I'll try to make it short.

Lately there have been quite a lot of robberys and breaking into houses around here.
    We have got an alarm system but LOML feels insecure and she mentioned that maybe we should get a dog mainly to make her feel better and give her some company while I'm away on bussines trips that I have to make quite often.

So, I put hands to work, gathered information, about breeds and breeders, how to housebreak puppies, how to educate dogs, and so forth.
    Needles to say that with all that reading I got excited about having a dog, but LOML didn't want to take the decision, and just got me a full month expecting one from her, she didn't read anything, she didn't look for info apart from asking her workmates that own dogs. I wanted her to decide because it was her initiative, not mine and I didn't want to be held responsible afterwards.

I looked for dogs to adopt I found two of pure breed, a black giant schnauzer and a black standard one.

The more she delayed her decision the more eager I was to get a dog, so eventually I forced her to pronounce herself just to know if I had to do anything or not. So she said NO and she was angry because I was so obsessed with the dog or so she said.

So now, I'm dissapointed and p... off, and I'm thinking about just getting the darn dog and put up with whatever comes, after all one way or another it will be me the one who will have to care, train and walk it.

So what do you think?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 02-16-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Who will care for, train and walk it when you are away on business trips and Tour DeWood 2010? I think you need your wife's willing participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Who will care for, train and walk it when you are away on business trips and Tour DeWood 2010? I think you need your wife's willing participation.
    Thanks Bill, I think that as well, but then why on earth she started everything to call it off afterwards?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hey Toni,

Don't do it. As good as it might feel in the midst of such angst, a long term reminder of how you didn't really care about her preference is not something you need. DAMHIKT Now borrowing someone's dog for an evening might be a different story...unless she ends up liking the dog.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Remind her that it was her idea in the first place and the reasons she originaly was for it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-30-2010 at 10:46 PM.

My wife says no dog too.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I would trade the dog for peaceful shop time but, that's me ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I'll echo John's comment. Let it be known that you'd really like a dog but don't get one against your wife's wishes. It wouldn't be fair to any of the three of you. If your wife resents the dog, the dog will be able to tell.

Also, it sounds like you were looking for a puppy. Especially if you're not real experienced with raising dogs, I'd suggest adopting an adult dog instead of a puppy. Less work, less stress, and more fun for all involved. Puppies are great, but raising one is a lot of work.

On a totally unrelated note...

Based on the avatar pictures in this thread, it looks like Toni, Matt, and Don's granddaughter all get their hair done at the same shop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Based on the avatar pictures in this thread, it looks like Toni, Matt, and Don's granddaughter all get their hair done at the same shop.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward