Most Popular Router Bit

Jim Young

While working on a project today I got to thinking about my choice of bits. I seem to always reach for my straight flute 1/2" bit. That got me wondering if everyone else used the same bit as much as I do. So my question is what is your most used bit?

Jim, I have to agree with you; with a half inch shank of course.
That bit seems so stout and indestructible. Although I have broken some carbide off a few.
It can be used for rabbets, dadoes, and jointing. It gets used a lot.

Half-inch straight, followed by roundovers. It's the 80/20 rule: 80% of the time I rely on 20% of the bits, and vice versa.

Cheers,

Kevin

I don't do many dados, but I do a lot of bullnosed 3/4" stuff, so the 3/8" roundover is my most used. Then I'd say it's a toss-up between the 1/2, 3/8, and 1/8" straight bits.

Tod, do you sell good carbide bits?

nope...i buy my bits from woodline cheaper than i can buy from portercable wholesale and seem to last as long....1/2" dia 1" carbide,1/2" shank 6.50$....1/4" 1/2" shank 5.50$.....3/4" 1/2" shank 11.00$........
i don`t sell `em just use `em;)

nope...i buy my bits from woodline cheaper than i can buy from portercable wholesale and seem to last as long....1/2" dia 1" carbide,1/2" shank 6.50$....1/4" 1/2" shank 5.50$.....3/4" 1/2" shank 11.00$........
i don`t sell `em just use `em;)

Thanks. I'm thinking that with my Terrco duplicator set-up, the bits provided will wear out pretty pronto and I'll need good carbides that will last. There is a lot of wood removal on just one gunstock.