Help me spend my money!!

chris johnson

I have been allocated by LOML a few hundred dollars to spend and am torn between two choices. One choice is the 100" ezsmart system, and the other is a surface planer. I know I am looking at the low end of planers but I can't afford the 15" stationary that I (okay alot of us!!) want. At this point I am thinking the planer might be the way to go. Anyone have some input on this little green monster www.grizzly.com/products/G0505 . I am open to any other suggestions. Also, I am only about 45min away from the bellingham, Wa showroom so I could save the freight charge.

thanks
Chris

Chris, I'd get the planer.

If you have a circular saw, you can make do with a homemade straight edge system, I did for a lot time before I got the Festool TS55, but a homemade planer? :huh:

I know a guy on a different forum who bought one of those little green monsters just to finish one quick job, as his other tools were in storage, he is rebuilding his home and workshop. Well, he just loves it, and he has not been able to kill it either, he has the big stonking stationary planer too, but says this little green monster has earned a place in his workshop.

Congrats on the coming gloat! :thumb:

Remember........... pics! :D

Chris,

I'd love to help you spend your money, send as much as you can afford to me.:rofl:

I probably wouldn't be good for an answer, I have a benchtop planer (DeWalt 735), but bought an old Parks 12" planer to replace it for most all work. I've heard from a lot of folks that they prefer to keep their porta-potty-planers because they're easy to pull out and plane a board easily. I don't know, mine is loud and I hate using it. It's so loud the worms leave my yard and go to the neighbor's yard when I fire up the 735...I need a switch, starter, and pully for my Parks. You might consider looking for a used planer, even if a benchtop. You can't loose too much on the Grizzly, and could probably take it back if you don't like it. I don't know much about them, but if I was to get another bench top, I'd look for a used/new Makita.

Hi Chris,
I think a planer is alot more useful than the guide, for the reasons Stu gives. I've had three lunchbox planers since the first one, the 10" Ryobi first came out. They are versatile and very useful. Rather than brand, I'd consider the blade design. Most now [I think including the Griz] use double edged but throwaway blades. The Dewalt 733 has heavy resharpenable ones. The Griz says the blades are 1/8" thick, but depending on how wide they are, one still may not be able to re-shapren them.

Just an issue I thought I'd bring up.

Looks like whichever way you go, you'll make a good and useful purchase.
Ken

I would have to go with the planer if it were me. Heck a good piece of angle iron c-clamped to the material is the same thing as the ez smart guide ain't it:D I keep a long piece of angle iron just for that purpose.

But if I didn't have my planer...............shutter.............vanish the thought:dunno: I dunno what I'd do:bang: :biker: I'd go get me one of them thar planer things.:rofl:

Not only would I vote for a planer, I'll endorse the Grizzly G0505. I have one and it is a real workin' hoss. Lotsa guts and productivity for something in such a small package. One tip, the early ones (mine was) had an overly sensitive heat overload protection switch. Griz replaced it with a smile. I believe the newer ones are all corrected. But if yours shuts off after a few min. of use, pick up the phone and report, they will take care of you.

Rather than brand, I'd consider the blade design. Most now [I think including the Griz] use double edged but throwaway blades. The Dewalt 733 has heavy resharpenable ones. The Griz says the blades are 1/8" thick, but depending on how wide they are, one still may not be able to re-shapren them.
Excellent point actually. The DeWalt 735 has 1/16" blades, so they're half the thickness of many other porta-potty-planers. This also means they go dull faster. I would make sure the planer has 1/8", you're not gonna find much better than that since even stationary planers have blades which are 1/8".

HSS blades are available from Infinity for the 735 though, and they last longer.

The Makita just seems like a workhorse, and if you could find one used it would probably be an inexpensive way to get a machine.

Rennie, just to show you how un-selfish I am, I'm going to encourage Chris to send a little money to you also! What say ye Chris? Spread the wealth right?:rofl:

Help me spend my money!!

More than happy to! I have a 12" jointer sitting in AK that you could have shipped to me and pay for some of the materials to restore it.
I have located a Oliver belt and disk sander I would like to have.
There is a big C framed bandsaw in New York that you ship to me.
Just take you pick and surprise me! :D

OK, now as for the Grizzly planer, I have and older one in my shop that belongs to my FIL. It's probably close to 10 years old? He used it A LOT building his log cabin. Planed all the flooring in it, plus cabinet lumber. He brought it over here and I used it a lot too. Then I got my PM-100 restored so it sits idle now. Other than noise and some snipe because of the short tables there is nothing to complain about. For what it is, it's a good little planer. Won't replace my PM100 however.

Jeff
Waiting to see which surprise Chris choices for me! :D

Excellent point actually. The DeWalt 735 has 1/16" blades, so they're half the thickness of many other porta-potty-planers. This also means they go dull faster. I would make sure the planer has 1/8", you're not gonna find much better than that since even stationary planers have blades which are 1/8".

HSS blades are available from Infinity for the 735 though, and they last longer.

The Makita just seems like a workhorse, and if you could find one used it would probably be an inexpensive way to get a machine.

Rennie, just to show you how un-selfish I am, I'm going to encourage Chris to send a little money to you also! What say ye Chris? Spread the wealth right?:rofl:

The Chinese made Grizzly has 1/8" blades also. And it has to be the best steel in the world. After all, they get it from us. :rofl:

Another vote for a planer. You can always use a straight edge until you get another cash allowance for the ez smart.

I don't understand the spinny things. Why would anyone want to stand at a machine that spews chips at them?

Oops, a planer will do that too if you are on the output side.:)

I assume you have a jointer..............

If not, the planer is only half of the machinery required to get material flat and square -- unless you want to flatten by hand plane

Jay

Wow!! thanks for the overwhelming response. I think that I heard what I needed to hear. The EZ will wait and the griz planer it is.

Doug Shepard "Just PM'ed you my paypal ID. Start sending"

Travis White "Send it all my way!"

Jeff Horton "More than happy to! I have a 12" jointer sitting in AK that you could have shipped to me and pay for some of the materials to restore it.
I have located a Oliver belt and disk sander I would like to have.
There is a big C framed bandsaw in New York that you ship to me.
Just take you pick and surprise me!"

Your requests have been duly noted and forwarded to my lovely and vivacious financial coordinator, aka SWMBO, for final approval!!!!

I own that little green power house. I t is a great workhorse. It has handled 12" hickory planks, just had to take smaller bits. As far as snipe, just add a extra couple of inches and you will be a set. Also if you take lighter cuts it will reduce the snipe.The knifes can be sharpend. Get the dust hood with it. It will help out alot.