Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dado blade set?

Dado blade set?

On a post before here I was looking at a new replacement TS for the one I'm useing now, but now that I have giftcards in hand I started wondering about a dado set as I dont have one and the TS I'm currently useing can't even use one. I don't honestly know how much use the set would get but i have ran into a need for one before that i had to use a router on and I wasn't to thrilled abou the results.

If I did go with the dewalt DeWalt DW744X should I get a 6 or 8 inch set? One place I read said that tabletop TS like this might have problems with the 8inch sets. Also anyone have any recomendations for a good set? I'm looking for under $100 The two sets on the lowes site dont look to great. Rockler has some decent looking ones and I found This. Sue me I'm a DeWalt fanboy

Thanks for any help.. I want to make sure my first dado set doesnt blow up in my face.. so yea no wobble dados

From the dewalt manual on the TS linked before
    Do not attempt to stack dado blades thicker
    than 13/16" (20mm). Do not use dado blades larger than 8"
    (200mm) diameter.
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 02-19-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

Chris, I have a bit larger saw, but I still went with a 6" dado set. So far, I've not had any regrets about using the smaller blades. I've yet to need any more depth than what the 6" set provides.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Chris I have the 8" set but my saw runs a 10 " blade normaly. I think for the table top, I'd go with the 6" set.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I had both. May still have! Only know where one is though.

Just another thought. For stopped dadoes, the 6" has a smaller radius thus requiring less material to be chiseled out for "square" the stopped end of the dado.

That said, I almost exclusively use the router. I have a system that is extremely accurate, painless, and almost foolproof. Still have to square the ends of stopped dadoes but have even less material to chop to remove.

if i go with a 6" looks like rockler had 2 this and this the freud has no reviews but all the oshlun revies seem to be pretty positive..

Acording to the dewalt manual the Max. Depth at 90 Degrees for a 10" blade is 3.125 so I'm geussing ever step down from 10 to 8 and 6 would subtract 1" of depth leaving the 6" at 1.125 and that would be enought for most applications.

I also take it there would be little to no reason to cut a dado at any other then 90 Degrees?

oo just realized i have 20% off one item at rockler
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 02-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

Chris, I've seen dados cut by both of the sets you linked to...I couldn't tell a difference. I know a few people that have the Oshlun set and they love them.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

My dado set is from Harbor Freight and they have done everything I have ever asked of them. Cut miles of dados for my daughter's bedroom shelves and the upstairs large room.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

well chris ,like don said i too have a heavier saw and got the 8" back when i thought bigger was better well the 6" is better in my book like carol mentioned and i also think you need to see carols method with a router, if my mind is right her method works anywhere and is better at maintaining uniform depth.. i just go tdone witha project that had few dados in it an dafter the wood does what wood does i had to go back and fix a couple.. and the router was the ticket to fix it. had i used a router first i wouldnt have had the trouble.. save your dollars and put it towards a good spiral bit and use your router..also lets see if carol will show us her method hint hint
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have the Freud 6" set and it's done almost everything I've asked of it. My brother gave me an 8" Avanti set that hasn't really been put through it's paces yet. The only time the 6" came up short was when I was cutting deep dadoes while using a sled.

I've also heard conjecture that it takes more power to keep an 8" set running.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well chris ,like don said i too have a heavier saw and got the 8" back when i thought bigger was better well the 6" is better in my book like carol mentioned and i also think you need to see carols method with a router, if my mind is right her method works anywhere and is better at maintaining uniform depth.. i just go tdone witha project that had few dados in it an dafter the wood does what wood does i had to go back and fix a couple.. and the router was the ticket to fix it. had i used a router first i wouldnt have had the trouble.. save your dollars and put it towards a good spiral bit and use your router..also lets see if carol will show us her method hint hint

Larry said it all for me. I think you want to think about the return. Do you have a router? If not you get more use from one that the dado blades.
    Way i see your choice of saw, you appear to be wanting portability implying you will be using this in more ways than just a shop saw. If thats the case think of the huge benefit you would get from a router in similar situations that a contractor would find himself in.

I would put the dados low on the list in my opinion and i wish i had sought this advice before buying my tools. Heck if i had joined this forum before buying anything i would have done many things different.
    cheers