Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: average price for laying a wood floor?

average price for laying a wood floor?

I hate to ask money questions, but Im asking those that have had it done more than asking the pros to talk prices, although any thoughts would be good.
    Im having wood floors put in, I cant do it, Im incapable of doing this.
    Does anyone here know what the going rate is for laying a floor per sq foot, per room, per job? I want something to judge the rate Im about to get tomorrow or sunday.
    Thanx in advance, its going to be prefinished .900 sq feet approx

HD was quoting as little as $1.80 to as much as $4 per square foot plus the materials yesterday here in Arizona yesterday. I was looking, too.

Lottsa variables here. The flooring, the underlayment, various strips and caulking, the flooring material itself, and the installation. Be careful that you are comparing apples with apples. And likely, the area of the country would have some input here as well.

I am having my kitchen redone and I am deciding what I can do and what I have to have someone else do. For me that means what does it cost to contrast what I am being quoted.

I contacted a wood floor guy out here thats been around for many many years and asked him about stripping an old armstrong floor, and he told me he knows someone that might do it.
    I used the guy, he did the best job Ive ever had done on the floor, at a decent price, and he told me he normally installs wood/laminate floors, but strips and waxes also on the side.
    so Im waiting on his price this week. the wood Ill probably get from a lumber liquidators or someone like that, hes looking for what I want.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Allen,
    Get ahold of Al Killian, he's a member here and he does that kinda stuff and he's located somewhere in NY.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

you can try but i cant get in touch with him and have left messges and emails and threw another forum he's gone!!!! had some tuff times awhile back and no clue where he is.. was in hamilton near the border.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hes up near buffalo, thats a 7-8 hour drive.

I was looking a couple years ago here. It was 3 per foot to lay and 2 to finish if you used unfinished.

After getting prices and being the frugal person that I am (my wife just calls me cheap.) I decided to do it myself. Here's an in progress shot and a finished shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finished flooring 005 (Medium).jpg   finished flooring 015 (Medium).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I was looking a couple years ago here. It was 3 per foot to lay and 2 to finish if you used unfinished.

After getting prices and being the frugal person that I am (my wife just calls me cheap.) I decided to do it myself. Here's an in progress shot and a finished shot.
    what kind of wood was that john looks like hickory?? nice job on that
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It's cypress

Lookin' good.
    I'm wondering if wide boards would cost less to have installed than traditional narrow ones.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire