More finishing questions

Dan Mosley

Had part of the day free and decided to play around with some projects that have been sitting and waiting to complete.

Pic-1 is a natural edge bowl - 2 coats of natural danish, 2 coats of 50/50 laquer thinner and laquer, 0000 steel wooled lightly , then 3 more coats of spray can laquer. Not sure what ill do in the end here and may just leave the laquer finish and call it after one more coat.....................thoughts??

Pic-2&3 - turned this mesquite bowl today and sanded thru 400, then applied oak colored danish oil to it and sanded it in with 500 wet/dry. I think im going to try out shellac for the first time on this pc. I have some amber colored that i got to see how it works......thinking about applying several coats or more and then not sure where to go...........never used it before but heard alot of turners talking about how good it is to use .....thoughts??

Pic-4 - vessel haive had sitting for awhile now and decided to finish it out today....it has 3 coats of walnut danish oil on it sanded in with 500 and 600 wet/dry.....been sitting for a week.....0000 steel wool and have applied two coats of gloss laquer to it.....will probably just finish it out with several more coats and call it done..............

thanks to all for comments etc.......................Dan

Attachments

• Bowl-Natural.jpg
    Bowl-Natural.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Bowl-Hole-1.jpg
    Bowl-Hole-1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 26
  • Bowl-Hole-2.jpg
    Bowl-Hole-2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Vessel-Laquer.jpg
    Vessel-Laquer.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 26
Finishing is not one of my strong points, so can't say anything pro or con on yours... all look great....
on the mesquite.. I like it just the way it shows in the picture.. looks like you could just pick it up and run hand over the sides... my wife calls wood pieces like that "fondle ware".