Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jibber Jabber in the shop

Jibber Jabber in the shop

I was just curious what other woodworkers listen to while working in the shop?

Myself, my radio never shuts off. Even when I am not there I leave it on for whatever reason. I guess it's so the mice have something to listen to as well. The style of music I preper is classic rock, and the radio I listen to is WKIT 100.3 out of Bangor. A neat radio station in that it is owned by the famous writer Stephen King. This makes this radio station independent so its has real nice to hear real people talking 24/7 and DJ's that are from the area and have them play songs that will never make it to mainstream radio. They also do Simulcast's, so through the magic of the internet you can hear what my shop is playing at this very moment, see what temperature it is here in Maine, and some other cool stuff. Just click on to the LISTEN NOW link in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

(This is not an advertisement for this station mind you, just a link in case you are interested in what I listen to while making dovetails, cutting tennons or carving out wheels.)

WKIT 100.3
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I go through listening phases. Right now, in the shop it's mostly one of the comedy channels on XM Radio...the 'uncensored' one. When I'm in music mode, I usually listen to what the kids these days call 'adult alternative', or if I can find some, I'll listen to various progressive rock stuff. I tend to dislike listening to something I've heard a lot of times before, so that rules out most over-the-air radio stations and most of the CDs and MP3s I own. I really liked classic rock for the first 10 or 20 years of its existence (back before it was 'classic'), but after hearing a song for the bazillionth time, even the best wears thin. But that's just me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I listen to the radio, sometimes, AFRTS Eagle 810 here in Tokyo. I especially enjoy "A Prairie Home Companion" on Sunday evenings.

Other wise, when the music on the radio, or what the kids today call music I listen to the 4 or 5 Gigs I have on the laptop computer, that runs from AC-DC to Michelle Shocked, with some Garth Brooks, Billie Holiday, and even Devo!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

travis, i listen to "clasic rock" or some of the rock-country stuff and on occasion bluegrass....the shop radio usually stays on xm-46......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Once you go satellite you'll never go back. LOML bought it for my last birthday. I find I listen to stuff I would otherwise never listen to. What you want, when you want it... plus you can rewind.

Radio is on in the shop 24/7, the only time I shut it off is if a visitor pops in for a bit....sometimes I just turn it real low for background noise since the visitor is more important than hearing music.

I listen to country about 1/3 of the time (Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, couple of favorites.) and Classic Rock the other 2/3. Really like listening to some Bob Segar, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Boston.

BTW I'm listening to your link now....cool!

XM radio is on 24/7 in my shop. Every thing from 50's/60's stuff to opera. Depends on my mood and the weather. Some time I like the talk radio stations. If I get tired of the xm I will flip on the TV.

Brian

I love the fact that I can hear, I enjoy listening but never to the radio while working.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

One of three, depending on mood, day of week, and time of day.

The local PBS/college station does a good job with classical during week days so if I have a day off from my 'real' job I'm usually listing to Mozart, Bach, etc.

On weekends it's the local 50's and 60's station, but their signal goes to crap after sunset so I'll then switch to favorite number 3, talk radio.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

I have Sirius now, in the shop and truck. Either Country Roadhouse or Outlaw Country, or Buzzsaw classic rock for me. I really wanted to listen to Howard Stern, but he's just too 'high school' filthy for me... and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

KC