Jibber Jabber in the shop

I was just curious what other woodworkers listen to while working in the shop?

Myself, my radio never shuts off. Even when I am not there I leave it on for whatever reason. I guess it's so the mice have something to listen to as well. The style of music I preper is classic rock, and the radio I listen to is WKIT 100.3 out of Bangor. A neat radio station in that it is owned by the famous writer Stephen King. This makes this radio station independent so its has real nice to hear real people talking 24/7 and DJ's that are from the area and have them play songs that will never make it to mainstream radio. They also do Simulcast's, so through the magic of the internet you can hear what my shop is playing at this very moment, see what temperature it is here in Maine, and some other cool stuff. Just click on to the LISTEN NOW link in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

(This is not an advertisement for this station mind you, just a link in case you are interested in what I listen to while making dovetails, cutting tennons or carving out wheels.)

WKIT 100.3

I go through listening phases. Right now, in the shop it's mostly one of the comedy channels on XM Radio...the 'uncensored' one. When I'm in music mode, I usually listen to what the kids these days call 'adult alternative', or if I can find some, I'll listen to various progressive rock stuff. I tend to dislike listening to something I've heard a lot of times before, so that rules out most over-the-air radio stations and most of the CDs and MP3s I own. I really liked classic rock for the first 10 or 20 years of its existence (back before it was 'classic'), but after hearing a song for the bazillionth time, even the best wears thin. But that's just me. ;)

I listen to the radio, sometimes, AFRTS Eagle 810 here in Tokyo. I especially enjoy "A Prairie Home Companion" on Sunday evenings.

Other wise, when the music on the radio, or what the kids today call music :rolleyes: I listen to the 4 or 5 Gigs I have on the laptop computer, that runs from AC-DC to Michelle Shocked, with some Garth Brooks, Billie Holiday, and even Devo! :D

travis, i listen to "clasic rock" or some of the rock-country stuff and on occasion bluegrass....the shop radio usually stays on xm-46......tod

Once you go satellite you'll never go back. LOML bought it for my last birthday. I find I listen to stuff I would otherwise never listen to. What you want, when you want it... plus you can rewind.:thumb:

Radio is on in the shop 24/7, the only time I shut it off is if a visitor pops in for a bit....sometimes I just turn it real low for background noise since the visitor is more important than hearing music.

I listen to country about 1/3 of the time (Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, couple of favorites.) and Classic Rock the other 2/3. Really like listening to some Bob Segar, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Boston.

BTW I'm listening to your link now....cool!:thumb:

XM radio is on 24/7 in my shop. Every thing from 50's/60's stuff to opera. Depends on my mood and the weather. Some time I like the talk radio stations. If I get tired of the xm I will flip on the TV.

Brian

One of three, depending on mood, day of week, and time of day.

The local PBS/college station does a good job with classical during week days so if I have a day off from my 'real' job I'm usually listing to Mozart, Bach, etc.

On weekends it's the local 50's and 60's station, but their signal goes to crap after sunset so I'll then switch to favorite number 3, talk radio.:eek:

I have Sirius now, in the shop and truck. :) Either Country Roadhouse or Outlaw Country, or Buzzsaw classic rock for me. I really wanted to listen to Howard Stern, but he's just too 'high school' filthy for me... and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

KC

[size=+1]"Ain't nothin wrong with quiet..." I have a radio/CD player in the shop, but I haven't turned it on in probably six months. I like quiet in the shop.[/size]

Internet Radio is the STUFF! And unlike Satellite radio it's free. Well not free but I all ready pay for internet. For those not familiar there are lot of players out there. But I like WinAmp (its free) and they connect to Shoutcast Radio stations. I then send the output to an old Crown amp and set of Peavy Black Widows. (yes I can rock the house, litterly if I so chose).

If the net happens to go down I have all my CD's ripped to MP3's on my desktop. I can access them from the Lab across my network.

My first choice is Jazz, Old school jazz (any one surprised?) and mix in some Blues. I have a large collection of Contemporary Christian Rock and some Classic rock on the computer. About the only thing I don't like is County, just not for me.

The best part about Internet Radio is if you like it, someone is streaming it! There are thousands of stations out there. You can find anything you like I think.

I usually have the TV on, History Channel, NGO, or Discovery. When I have the radio on its usually tuned to a local collage station that plays blues, bluegrass, folk, country, rock. Nice mix of everything that isn't on the mainstream stations!

I usually leave it on one of the public radio stations (can't afford XM). There's one I particularly like that tries to reflect the diversity of NM. They start out in the a.m. with classical, then go to Native American music and a native call-in show, then they go to New Mexican spanish music - sad songs with upbeat music - a lot like country music.

I find that when I'm doing something that takes a lot of focus, I need to turn the radio off. DAMHIKT:rolleyes:

I like silence. If the radio in my truck were broken, I probably wouldn't know it for a year. In the shop, I usually put in ear plugs before turning on a machine then just leave them in place. I zone in to my own world that way.

I like the natural sounds of the shop.. The purr of the planer, the slicing sound of a sharp hand plane, taptaptap of mallet and chisel, the new pitch of my new TS and the occassional #$#$%@% when I screw up:)

One of the joys of a one-man shop is listening to what I want !! You wouldn't believe how much friction there is in shops where people can't agree on the station. One of the first questions I was asked in the first shop I worked in was "What kind of music do you like?". Ended up that the "oldies" fan had to take to wearing walkman headphones under his earmuffs to get his fix. Since the big DC unit ran most of the day you couldn't hear the radio anyway :dunno:In another shop someone changed the station on the foreman's radio and poured a bottle of white glue into it to make sure it couldn't be changed back:eek: (Oddly enough, the radio didn't work after that)

What I listen to is the music channel of our CBC's french language service. I like the variety of stuff they play, esp world music, and although I can understand french, it's much easier to tune out when I need to concentrate on my work. And no adverts!

I crank it up! Great local station with hits from the 60's to now and NO RAP!

After all, I've got to be able to hear through the ear protection.:rofl:

Jay