Jibber Jabber in the shop

I have a 5 gig MP3 player with an assortment of music sorted into play lists by type of music (oldies, rock, Christian, easy listening). This way I can listen to what I feel like that day. Or I just put it on random selection for an assortment.

Where I work, they actually encourage people to wear headphones and listen to the radio station or music. They claim it keeps the stress down. That is a joke...not because I don't believe them, but because our place is so stress free. There is no tyime pressures there. It does not matter how long it takes to build something, it just has to be perfect.

In any case, inside the shop we only get one radio station and it is one of those stations that play the same thing over and over again. One song is by Lynard Skynard called Curtis Lowe. I liked the song, or at least did, but they play it twice a day and every time it comes on the radio, a Curtis Lowe cheer goes out. Anyway I guess that is why the company stocks a pretty big library full of books on tape. Again they claim it helps with stress.

Funny how many of us leave the radio on 24/7, I thought I was the only one who did that. My radio is a JVC tuner/amplifier I bought at a pawn shop a few years ago, connected to a 4 speaker column made by Peavy. I've got less than $100 in both. I can crank up the tunes and drown out any machine I've got but I usually keep it pretty low, so the neighbors can't hear it. My tunes of choice is oldie country that I get out of a town up the road about a hour. On Sunday morning I switch to another station that does a morning gospel show from 6:00-12:00. I'm usually in the shop pretty early on Sunday morning.

I have an old Yamaha stereo amp and a pair of "beater" speakers (they look rough but sound good) in my shop. I patch in a portable CD player and crank it up a bit so I can hear it over the DC. I finally got tired of changing CDs, and since the portable will play mp3 discs, I burned a bunch of my favorites onto a few CDRs. Each disc holds over 12 hours of music, so I just put one on and let it roll.

My tastes generally lean toward classic rock (Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, etc.) and some more obscure stuff from around that era.

Cheers,

Kevin

Internet Radio is the STUFF! ...
The best part about Internet Radio is if you like it, someone is streaming it! There are thousands of stations out there. You can find anything you like I think.
I concur wholeheartedly. At the office, I listen to 'net radio exclusively. My long-time favorite has been RadioParadise.com, but lately I've not been able to listen to them since the powers that be at my office have started blocking some streaming audio sources, claiming a shortage of network bandwidth. (I can still get Yahoo Radio, which includes a lot of Shoutcast streams, but other streams are blocked now, including RadioParadise.)

Where I work, they actually encourage people to wear headphones and listen to the radio station or music. They claim it keeps the stress down.
Hi Travis,
We also have a lot of people who wear headphones all day - MP3, computer, satellite, you name it....

We're a production engineering shop designing floor and roof systems. A good deal of schedule pressure and stress sitting in front of a computer all day, though certainly not as much as some other jobs. I think it does help some people to deal with the stress. I can't wear them as I am up and down from my desk, in meetings, or on conference calls all day. I do however have a radio (I'm not in a cube on the floor but am lucky enough to have my own office) that I keep on the classical music station and turned down really low so I don't disturb anyone else. I like to think it helps keeps me a little calmer.

In the shop I have a little Panasonic receiver I bought in 1970 for a Christmas present for my wife and I - it was our first stereo:) . I have 4 small speakers attached to the ceiling so the volume is pretty even no matter where I am in the shop. I keep it low because I only listen to it when machines are not running. When the machines go on so do my Worktunes ear muffs - tuned to the same station so I don't miss anything.;)

Someday I'll upgrade my system so I can play CD's, but I'm waiting till they are as out of date as 8-tracks!:eek:

Stuck in the past and listening to oldies......:rofl:

rennie, i used to do cd`s in the shop but i was killing a player every few months with the sawdust:eek: ......marty talked me into going with xm and i`m hooked........no moving parts to jamb up with dust and no commercials..best of both worlds.....tod

Only good thing about a Basement shop is the Proximity to the TV. When Norm and the boys are on I can crank it up, listen to the dialog and if I hear something of interest, step out into the room and watch some great learning experience. :thumb: Most of the time I am tuned to Satelite Radio via the TV and Listen to either 50-60 music or my personal favorite, Hawaiian.... Can't understand all the language, but it is such Happy Sounds. Then I turn on some equipment and it is a Moot point there after. :dunno:

rennie, i used to do cd`s in the shop but i was killing a player every few months with the sawdust:eek: ......marty talked me into going with xm and i`m hooked........no moving parts to jamb up with dust and no commercials..best of both worlds.....tod
Todd,

My poor attempt at humor - just trying to show how far behind the times I am. :doh: Truth is that I'd go to something like MP3 or satellite except for the $$. Can't see spending it on electronic do-dads when there are still so many tools to buy! :D

Seriously, I would not bring a CD player into the shop anyway as my stereo system resides just the other side of the shop wall in my living room. I'd just run a couple of wires to new speakers.

I guess I am the odd ball. I rarely turn anything on. LOML bought me a cheap CD stereo for the shop for Christmas, and I have played it a couple of times. Unfortunately I knocked it down with a long board last night so it goes to show I need to build a permanent shelf for it.

Since having Sirius in my vehicles I have gotten spoiled with music choice. In the shop I have to listen to "free" radio so the choices are really limited. I end up listening to one station that plays a veriety, music from the 60's 70's 80's 90's leaning more to the pop side. In reality its only about 3 minutes of music and 30 minutes of commercials.