Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: You know you're getting old when

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,353

    You know you're getting old when

    you spend a few hours on the non-working end of a chainsaw and the next morning your body don't want to work..

    I cut about 6 or 8 logs up yesterday for bowl blanks.. spent about 3 or 4 hours on the end of my chain saw and this morning I'm so stiff and sore it was a real chore just to get out of bed and my coffee cup weighed about 40 lbs... as Betty Davis said "getting old ain't for sissies"....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

  2. #2

    You know you are getting old when....

    You don't recognize the grizzled old guy in the mirror.....with white hair which appears to receding at a rate that would qualify it for the Olympics .....needs a shave......sagging jowls........missing teeth.....waistline is bulging.....

    Then you realize you don't have your glasses on....you put them on and realize you haven't shaved for 2 days....
    Ken
    ------



  3. #3
    Uh....Chuck.....it's probably not going to get any better either!
    Ken
    ------



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Goodland, Kansas
    Posts
    4,834
    Ken beat me to the punch. I almost don't recognize the guy in the mirror anymore. Yes Chuck I know what ya mean. I cut up 8 logs of walnut from 18 to 24 inches about 8 ft or so long into 55 bowl blanks. The wife needed a crane to get me out of bed the next day. As Ken said and my late dad said it ain't getting any better or any easier.
    Bernie W.

    Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

  5. #5
    Have you looked at Peter Jordan Avatar? He would be perfect to voice his opinion about this topic.. being just a kid I don't have these problems...
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,833
    Right, Paul.
    Wat are they griping about?
    Lemme tell ye about my............Oh.......nebber mind.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Catalunya
    Posts
    4,632
    Is it age only or just lack of physical exercise? I used to jog every other day for many years and play squash those days that I dind' jog.

    Then I switched to mountain biking, no exercise during the week but on saturday and sunday I rode for about 25 miles each day.

    Now it is about three years I stopped doing exercise because personal circumstances made me break the momentum or routine.

    I'm going to turn 51 in april and never felt so weak and unhealthy, this is telling me that it is not age but lack of exercise.

    Human body is the only machine that gets damaged if it is not used.
    Best regards,
    Toni

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

  8. #8
    Toni,

    To an extent I'll agree with you.

    Having broken my back and now needing surgery on both knees as a result of jogging too much.....my exercise ability is somewhat limited.

    By the way.....you'll find in a decade....things will change even more!
    Ken
    ------



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Catalunya
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Toni,

    To an extent I'll agree with you.

    Having broken my back and now needing surgery on both knees as a result of jogging too much.....my exercise ability is somewhat limited.

    By the way.....you'll find in a decade....things will change even more!
    Ken, obviousy I didn't meant it as the "ONLY" reason, but physical exercise adapted to each one's capabilities and age is far better than just sofa+TV IMHO.
    Walking, ciclyng, woodworking and basically keeping oneself physicaly and mentally active is the best recipee. We all know it. Unfortunately not everybody (including myself) has the will power needed to keep on exercising, specially when we've drop it for a while.
    Best regards,
    Toni

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You don't recognize the grizzled old guy in the mirror.....with white hair which appears to receding at a rate that would qualify it for the Olympics .....needs a shave......sagging jowls........missing teeth.....waistline is bulging.....
    Ken, that almost describes me... still have all my hair though and it's only a little gray in there.. everything else fits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Is it age only or just lack of physical exercise? I used to jog every other day for many years and play squash those days that I dind' jog.

    Then I switched to mountain biking, no exercise during the week but on saturday and sunday I rode for about 25 miles each day.

    Now it is about three years I stopped doing exercise because personal circumstances made me break the momentum or routine.

    I'm going to turn 51 in april and never felt so weak and unhealthy, this is telling me that it is not age but lack of exercise.

    Human body is the only machine that gets damaged if it is not used.
    Toni
    I don't exercise for the sake of exercise, but I'm not a couch potato either... I'm active and in the shop most days except when it's too cold... I do my own yard.. about 3/4 acre of grass, most of it either up hill or down.. I have a 40 x 60 garden that I work every spring and summer, but I have that decade on you that Ken mentioned.. matter of fact, I have a decade and half on you... not as old a Frank yet, but close... I'll be 69 in September... just getting a little stiff in the get-along.
    Wasn't really complaining... I'll complain when I can't do those things.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •