looking for fractional digital caliper

Dave Black

Dave i can only comment on the one i got from Grizzly. Its the $29 one. It works and does its job but in measurement tools you get what you pay for.

I find i need to make sure i set it to zero often before i take a measurement. If you pull it back too fast/suddenly i had an error. Then i find that using the thumbwheel sometimes mine gets tough to get started when the jaws are closed.

I have a http://www.mitutoyo.ca/home.asp old one that i have had for 30 years no digital and its way smoother but then even back then it cost a great deal more but its a pleasure to use.

So my advice would be dont go any cheaper than the $29 version. If anything go up a bit.

I bought a Starrett dial fractional caliper and am very satisfied with it. I like the dial ones because you can see what measurement you're close to (like 3/4"), even if you're not exactly that measurement.

I got mine at Craftsman Studio, but at the time they had a sale on and it was only about $50. I think they're much more expensive now.

But my advice is to go with a dial fractional caliper instead of a digital. Here's one at a decent price.

Or try this for a search on Amazon.

Mike

I had the first one that you show and it didnt last the second one uses a larger dia battery and they are expensive not sure about the last one what it takes. I went to Grizzly in Springfield and looked at them and ended up getting the 4" but its not fractional.

I use a chart on the wall with all the decimals on it and it converts to fractional and # and Letter bits and I like using it much better than the fractional calipers when it reads something like 7/127 you still dont know where your at without looking it up :rofl:

Check with a machine shop and ask them where to get the chart they get them free from there suppliers.:thumb::thumb:

Jay

I have a pure digital caliper I have been using for years. I thought it would be neat to get a fractional digital caliper. But when I get 7/128 I don't know whether to pare or shim to get to 1/16. The new fractional caliper is collecting dust in the drawer.

The fractional one also works digital imperial measure and metric, but the old one does too, feels familiar, and is better quality (from before the days of cheap calipers).

Well I think I'll get a fractional dial caliper rather than a digital, but I can get the shop fox model off amazon and not pay shipping from grizzly so thats what I'll do.

I have used a General fractional calipers for years. In fact, I worn one out! As for what is 7/128's close to? Turn is over. There is a chart on the back. Or add or subtract a 128th and mentally divide. Or use the chart Jay talks about. I have a very large one I got free from a vendor a number of years ago. It is on the wall next to the drill press.

Oh, and 7/128 is just shy of 1/16". Divided 8 into 128 for that one. ;)

I like the dial ones because you can see what measurement you're close to (like 3/4"), even if you're not exactly that measurement.

+1 but I got a no-name one from Hartville Hardware (the retail store that led to Hartville Tool)

Similarly to what Mike said, the digital displays don't tell you when you are getting close to say 11/32--is 0.3524 over or under?--unless you know your fraction-decimal conversions. And then why would you use a fractional caliper? I have the Wixey tablesaw fence readout and find myself using the old tape to get close, then switch to looking at the digital display.

I paid about $15.00 for mine at Harbor Freight. And, from appearances, it seems to be the same identical caliper as others sell for different prices up to the $100.00 range. BTW, it is accurate and reliable. My old Mito-whatever dial caliper sits in it's case rarely used.