Thread: Some Pens

Some Pens

I got down to the Dungeon and turned some pens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green_countertop_pen.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	42608
    This is a pen I made from a piece of counter top material, I really like it, and it turned really easy. My wife liked it so much, it is now her pen! I have to say, it makes a neat pen, but my goodness, who in their right mind would want a counter top that color

Name:	shrine_wood_closed.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	42609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shrine_wood_open.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	42610
    Here is a pen made from some of my "Shrine Wood" from the local Shinto shrine, the wood is Red Zelkova, and kind of Elm, this one the wood was bias cut, so the grain is quite nice.

Name:	holly_ebony_pens.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	42611
    This next one I'm making for my Cousin Dan who is fighting cancer in Canada, he married his long time girl friend last month, and I'm making them a set of pens to celebrate. One is Ebony and the other is Holly, I'd like to have them laser engraved with their names and the wedding date on the pens, and I was thinking of making a presentation box with a pertinent Bible verse on it, I'd share that, but I think it strays too close to the line on the CoC. If any of you a suggestion, please PM me.

Comments, critiques welcome!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good stuff, Stu. I especially like the Shrine Wood pen. Great-looking wood, especially with the bias cut.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great looking pens Stu.
    I'm getting ready to make some from the wood you sent me. I hope mine come out half as well.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks guys.

The Shrine Wood turns fairly nice, but man did that Ebony and the Holly ever turn nice, loved that stuff for sure! The Holly is a bit of a chore, you really got to be careful you don't get your grubby fingers on it, or sand the steel mandrels and get that all over the nice white wood.

I tired a new finishing method, so far it worked well.

I sanded down to #400, then I did a coat of medium CA glue, let it dry for about 10 minutes, then sanded that with #400, #600 and #800, very light sanding only.

Next I put a piece of paper over the lathe bed and beyond, and with the running slow, I grabbed a rattle can of regular quick dry lacquer and sprayed the blank right on the lathe still turning. I let it sit for half an hour, then I sanded #800, #1200 and #1500, again, all very very light sanding, mostly along the length of the blank, with the lathe stopped. I then put on some friction polish and let that dry then polished them up to a nice sheen.

It really helped to have a second lathe to do all of this on, while things were drying on the pen lathe, I was >> free to play on the DVR <<
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

All very nicely done Stuart.
    Like the Red Zelkova.
    What is the kit you used with the Red Zelkova?

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Thanks Les

I think it is called "Executive Roller Ball" it is a decent kit, but the thing I do not like is that the cap does not go onto the body of the pen.

Still, it is a nice pen, and the wood it certainly pretty!
    William Arthur Ward

I found it >> HERE << Les

At Craft Supplies USA

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Great looking pens Stu.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.