Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electric chainsaws

electric chainsaws

Anybody using small electric chainsaws in their shops to trim turning blanks?

Any suggestions?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yup, got mine at home depot several years ago. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain saw.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	42639 $70 and it work very well.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

A 16" bar?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ya gonna cut blanks over 32" ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Electric chainsaws

YUP,just make sure you keep oil in em an the chain sharp,OH YES and your wood is secured.I use one quite a bit when I'm down in Tampa.

No All my chainsaws are cordless
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I've got a 16" Poulan that a friend gave me because it wasn't cutting well at all. I sharpened the chain, and it still didn't cut worth a darn. Then I turned the chain around and pointed the teeth in the right direction, and it works pretty good. I wouldn't want to use it to cut a 16" blank (and no way would I bury the nose trying to cut anything bigger -- not only is it unsafe, it's real hard on the saw), but it's been handy for trimming corners and high spots off of blanks that are too big to wrestle on the bandsaw. For cutting blanks from logs, I still prefer my cordless Stihl MS390.

From what I've read, it appears Stihl makes a very good electric, as does Makita and several other brands. For my infrequent use, a Borg-level saw like the Poulan or Homelite will probably be all I need.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've got a little Makita and a large Shindaiwa, they both really do cut wood, if the chain is sharp, and while they are NOT cordless, they don't stink the Dungeon up either (Yes, I've run my big Husky down there......... ONCE..... )

One small point, the chain oil used in the electric chainsaws is different than the two-smoke saws, it is thinner, no motor heat to warm it up.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-30-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Carol,

Just a note on safety if you don't mind. Just because it's electric doesn't mean it's any less dangerous than a gas model. Electrics are geared, direct drive, unlike their gas counterparts which are centrifugally clutched, and because they tend to work at much slower rpm's they make up for the speed with power from that gearing. If I remember correctly, safety clothing (pants etc.) which are rated for gas chainsaws don't make the grade for electric, simply due to the slowness of the chain and constant power produced the direct drive.

Work safely eh?

cheers

PS : as a Stihl dealer I sold a few of their electric models - they were excellent quality saws and performed very well, but were very expensive.
    Yep, what John says it true, I still wear my chaps and mitts etc, as I think they are better protection than just jeans
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward