Shellac on Mesquite

Dan Mosley

Decided to compare two different finishes today to see which I like better on the mesquite wood I have been turning. I have never used shellac and decided to give it a try today.

Picture 1 - shows both side by side...........On the left is a bowl that was finished with just 2 coats of amber tinted shellac and currently 1 coat of gloss laquer.....On the Right is a vessel with 2 coats of light walnut danish oil
and currently with 1 coat of gloss laquer

Picture 2 - Close up of the shellac bowl
Picture 3 - Close up of the Danish oil vessel

The picture sure does not show how nice the tone came out using the amber shellac but I think im going to like using it.....Possibly the next time ill try using both the oil first followed by a couple coats of the shellac.....its just fun experimenting with different finishes......searching for that perfect finish still.............LOL

Attachments

• Bowls-1.jpg
    Bowls-1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 60
  • Bowls-2.jpg
    Bowls-2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 60
  • Bowls-3.jpg
    Bowls-3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 57
Did you wet sand the DO version? If so, I suspect that might be why the grain is more pronounced on the shellac version. In my experience, wet sanding with oil on raw wood tends to muddy up the figure a bit. The shellac version does look better to me too, but be aware that shellac isn't as durable or resistant to water spots as the various poly or varnish/oil blends.

The shellac looks good but I have to agree with Vaughn for how long. Shellac is not durable at all. I now only use it on my small turnings. Bird houses, ornaments or lidded box the top with gloss lacquer.

I sprayed the laquer over the shellac so i was hoping that would give the durability to the finish................

The Danish was wet sanded in both coats.....then the laquer sprayed over that...........

Wondering if apply the shellac over the danish if ill get the same tone in the wood........................more experimenting ahead i see......lol...
thanks Dan