Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet mortiser

jet mortiser

I waited and waited, couldnt get a good deal, got 10 bucks off and free shipping.
    Im upset my tool guy of 2 years didnt back me up with the makita blade guard and I cant use him anymore.
    there are not many tool places on LI.
    I wanted it for my new build.
    Im not as lucky as Jim, who found one of craigslist, although I looked.

out of the box there was a slight problem, the fan guard was dented, fan was hitting it, all good now.
    Im going to give it a little work out soon, but after making a few holes with it, Im not sure my delta attachment is not as qualified as this tabletop mortiser.
    The jet doesnt have any type of speed control.
    With the delta attachment on the drill press, I can slow down the speed for harder woods and cut out the burning, especially on woods like white oak.
    I wanted the dedicated mortiser, since I was constantly setting up lately, then taking down to drill two holes with the press, but I dont think a mortiser of this size is any great advantage, and the bits jet sent are not anything special. But now I have a dedicated mortiser.

Allen, I wouldn't be too surprised if the factor bits need a bit of honing to make them work better. I've got one of these, and it's proven to be handy:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11153

It was only about $20 when I bought mine...I see they've gotten prouder of them (like a lot of other things in the marketplace).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

yeah, that goes without say, those bits chatter like shivering teeth, but thats another day, another task.

Ok Allen you coping out on us now. I dont see no Jet mortiser and i dont see no chisels. You know how it is here with the rules no pics dont exist. You lucky so far the picture police have let you off the hook.

Vaughn you giving up on the sherifs job?
    cheers

I went out into the garage tonight, in the snowstorm, took my cell, called Alan, and let him listen to the machine cause I didnt know what the sound was, but my kid fixed it one two three. Part of the grill was hitting the fan.
    figured everyone knows what they look like. time to get busy next week and make some square holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...Vaughn you giving up on the sherifs job?
    Hey, I've never been a sheriff on the Picture Police squad. I might help them keep the servers running back at Headquarters, but I typically don't write citations myself. That is, unless it's a particularly egregious violation. Times like that call for a Citizen's Arrest, and anyone should feel free to step up to the plate and perform their civic duty.

In Allen's case, since he's such a prolific woodworker and picture-poster, I suspect the Picture Police were just cutting him some slack this time. We all know it's a seldom-committed offense, and he'll make up for it the next time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well Allen looks like you getting off lightly that is until i call a possie and chase you down. Don where are you when i need you? Calling Don the picture police.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yup, No picture, No mortiser...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hey the sheriff has arrived Allen and you been served.
    cheers