jet mortiser

allen levine

I waited and waited, couldnt get a good deal, got 10 bucks off and free shipping.
Im upset my tool guy of 2 years didnt back me up with the makita blade guard and I cant use him anymore.
there are not many tool places on LI.
I wanted it for my new build.
Im not as lucky as Jim, who found one of craigslist, although I looked.

out of the box there was a slight problem, the fan guard was dented, fan was hitting it, all good now.
Im going to give it a little work out soon, but after making a few holes with it, Im not sure my delta attachment is not as qualified as this tabletop mortiser.
The jet doesnt have any type of speed control.
With the delta attachment on the drill press, I can slow down the speed for harder woods and cut out the burning, especially on woods like white oak.
I wanted the dedicated mortiser, since I was constantly setting up lately, then taking down to drill two holes with the press, but I dont think a mortiser of this size is any great advantage, and the bits jet sent are not anything special. But now I have a dedicated mortiser.

Ok Allen you coping out on us now. I dont see no Jet mortiser and i dont see no chisels. You know how it is here with the rules no pics dont exist. You lucky so far the picture police have let you off the hook.

Vaughn you giving up on the sherifs job?:rofl::rofl:

I went out into the garage tonight, in the snowstorm, took my cell, called Alan, and let him listen to the machine cause I didnt know what the sound was, but my kid fixed it one two three. Part of the grill was hitting the fan.
figured everyone knows what they look like. time to get busy next week and make some square holes.

...Vaughn you giving up on the sherifs job?:rofl::rofl:

Hey, I've never been a sheriff on the Picture Police squad. I might help them keep the servers running back at Headquarters, but I typically don't write citations myself. That is, unless it's a particularly egregious violation. Times like that call for a Citizen's Arrest, and anyone should feel free to step up to the plate and perform their civic duty. :p

In Allen's case, since he's such a prolific woodworker and picture-poster, I suspect the Picture Police were just cutting him some slack this time. We all know it's a seldom-committed offense, and he'll make up for it the next time. :D

Im well stocked with bits and chisels
It uses the same size as the delta attachment, and Jet includes 3 free ones.(comes with adaptor anyway)

after I finish the bed,maybe a dresser, Im going to rip out all the cabinets in the back of the garage, move the lathe over, and put the drill press and mortiser in the corner when not in use, and predrill holes so I can bolt them down when used heavily.Id put them underneath the work table, but they are a bit too heavy to be lifting up and down all the time.

Attachments

• mortise3 (Medium).jpg
    mortise3 (Medium).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 25
I would say scott free.:rofl::rofl: Nice move Allen. Will send you an email with an idea i saw for the under bench storage. Best of luck with the new tool let us know how it performs as you get into the bed.:thumb:

Allen:

Watch out - my mortiser bit me today. :eek:

I was doing some test holes in the white oak for the morris chair. Man - that stuff is HARD.

I stopped the machine, moved the blank aside and reached under the chisel. While removing my hand from under the chisel the left front "tang/point" thingy caught my middle finger right next to the nail and sliced a nice gash from there to the finger tip. :doh:

I'll live but it's a little tender right now.

I have the Rockler sharperning set on order as my 1/2" chisel needs a good sharpening.

I need to read up on the use of the mortiser. I got the chisel stuck when I was drilling the first hole of the test mortise. I drilled full depth and it was stuck! Should I work side to side a little, going deeper till I reach full depth? It only seems to get stuck in the first hole. Time for me to RTFM.

Cheers

Jim

white oak is just so hard.
when I use the delta attachment, I go in half depth, then go along the mortise line, thengo back to first hole and start diving to full depth. Make sure you keep the inside of the chisel area very clean, as the oak tends to build up inside the chisel and the bit can get very hot, so I make shallow cuts at first.(Im sure you know, but keep the open part of the chisel facing left or right to release the waste)
I keep the air line handy and blow the chisel out alot.
ya gotta be patient with the white oak.

I would say scott free.:rofl::rofl: Nice move Allen. Will send you an email with an idea i saw for the under bench storage. Best of luck with the new tool let us know how it performs as you get into the bed.:thumb:

you should post up this idea, its a great idea. Im going to use it when I add the work table space. for my drill press, mortiser, and grinder.