explain this to me please

allen levine

Im still waiting on a price quote on my maple floors.
Heres what i was told today.
Bella makes a prefinished maple rustic with a 50 yr warranty.
Builders pride makes a prefinished maple milrun with a 25 yr warranty.

does that mean in 49 years and 9 months my grandchildren can demand their money back if the floor doesnt hold up?
Maybe the company wont be here in 50 years, then what value does that have. Seems to be a selling point, I really dont understand it.
There are few people who are going to be around using the same floor for 50 years.

You dead right Allen. I would ask the people if they take you for a fool. I guess in a round about way they trying to say that its going to last forever but the way they are doing it is just stupid. :huh:

There are few people who are going to be around using the same floor for 50 years.

Haha, reading the warranty is interesting. It starts with...

"Bellawood flooring is carefully manufactured to strict guidelines to ensure that it is free of manufacturing defects. Each wood strip is individually and meticulously inspected both before and after the finishing process to be sure that it complies with Bellawood standards."

This is in the middle...

" Standard industry trade practice provides for an allowance for manufacturing or natural defects in wood flooring, which is generally referred to as the "waste factor." Accordingly, Bellawood products are warranted, in their original manufactured condition, to be free from milling, grading, and finish defects in excess of 5% of the total square footage of any order for domestic species and 10% of the total square footage of any order for exotic species."

Typical marketing versus legal department contradictory statements.

Basically, their warranty boils down to a 50 year limited non-transferable warranty guaranteeing the finish will not fail under normal residential foot traffic providing all corrective and preventative maintenance is performed in a timely manner on the correctly installed flooring. Which is nice but I tend to agree that there's really no extra value between that and the 25 year warranty. Or even a 15 year warranty for that matter.

It's a win-win situation

If you sell the house, move, die, loose the original paperwork, abuse the floor, but walking on it or not cleaning it with their cleaners - they win.

If you fall for the limited warranty and think you are really onto something - they win.

Sooo - whats the problem - typical company thinking - win-win.

Soo - ship the floor to them in 49 years and 9 months - they will explain very clearly to you that the floor was abused. That is of course - IF - they are still there. And of course if they understand the language you are speaking.