Thread: Poured concrete surfaces

Poured concrete surfaces

I wasnít sure the best place to put this so to be safe Iím asking here. Iíve been doing research for some work I may be doing next year on replacing my counter tops with poured concrete, instead of granite, when I remodel my bathrooms and kitchen. I got to thinking and my wife also asked; why not make some surfaces for my table saw or router using the same process. Anyone have any thoughts on that? From my understanding they can be made as smooth or close to that of granite. Nothing Iím going to do anytime soon just wondering what you think.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesnít have cookies.

I would think that you would need to grind the concrete surface to obtain the flatness tolerances you would want for a tablesaw or router top. Granite is flattened by grinding (and polishing) on large expensive machines (probably the greater the tolerance, greater the cost of the machine). I don't think you could rely on pouring the concrete flat enough for your purposes. Flat enough for a counter top, yes, but not for a tablesaw top.

P.S.

Not to say you could not do a one-off by hand grinding, but it would be very time consuming.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 02-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Your probobly right, I was thinking of just the smoothness but yea the flatness could be an issue. The process from what I've read is to take a peice of melamine coated mdf and use that to make a mold. The melamine is used so that it doesnt stick and also provides a bit of a smooth surface. this could help make sure the finished peice is flat but it still might not be 100%.. The process of grinding to further smooth the concrete could mess up the flatness also.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesnít have cookies.

I would think the thickness would be a killer for a saw. To get strength, you need some thickness. IIRC, poured counter tops are about 3 thick. Unless you had a 14" blade, you'd lose all of your ability to cut thicker woods. I think I'd stay with something more normal for a table saw. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Chris , I have thought the same thing, but haven't had time to test it out. I was thinking router table. I also wondered about putting laminet on the top after it had hardened but don't know what to glue it down with.