Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: craigslist a day late and a dollar short!

craigslist a day late and a dollar short!

I'm sure like many of you I look at craigslist a couple times a day to see if I can catch any good deals.

It seems like I'm always the guy who is second or third in line to get anything. I just missed around 130 bd/ft of walnut that was cut 2 years ago and stacked in the dry. He said it was from 8 - 12 inches wide and 10 foot, he wanted 100 for it.

A couple months ago I missed a bedrock 602 for 50 bucks. I was second for that one.

It seems like stuff I don't want will stay on CL for weeks.

Anybody else had any dang it moments?

Yup last year I found a jet mini with a nova chuck and Sorby tools for 150 bucks. Gone before I emailed the guy
    Right now there is one for 700 with Lathe lathe ext duplicator sorby micro tool set Termite (bowl hollowing tool) misc sorby tooling. And me with no cash
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

[QUOTE=John Daugherty;205763]around 130 bd/ft of walnut he wanted 100 for it.

wow, that is some deal, especially for us in the northeast, walnut is not less than 5-6 bucks a bf anywhere, and alot of places have it for 8-8.50 a bf.

Do any of you use Search Tempest, http://www.searchtempest.com/ It's works pretty good to search all or part of CL at once.
    Bob Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post
    Do any of you use Search Tempest, http://www.searchtempest.com/ It's works pretty good to search all or part of CL at once.
    Nope, I use google.

E.G.: lathe site:craigslist.org or "band saw" wood site:ebay.com

Just saw one today on Lincoln, NE CL rough sawn ash and walnut. He wanted $4.00 BF for the ash and $9.00 BF for the walnut. There's a sawmill 15 min. from me where I can get ash for $1.60 and walnut for $4.00 rough sawn and kiln dried Guess the guy on CL will be looking at his boards for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I'm sure like many of you I look at craigslist a couple times a day to see if I can catch any good deals.

It seems like I'm always the guy who is second or third in line to get anything. I just missed around 130 bd/ft of walnut that was cut 2 years ago and stacked in the dry. He said it was from 8 - 12 inches wide and 10 foot, he wanted 100 for it.

A couple months ago I missed a bedrock 602 for 50 bucks. I was second for that one.

It seems like stuff I don't want will stay on CL for weeks.

Anybody else had any dang it moments?
    Everytime. I'll search & search for used tools and never find anything. People I know will get great deals at pawn shops. Not me! Those deals don't appear until about 1week after I purchase the tool new. Now that I'm laid off there are deals everywhere.

That's me, when I have the time, I don't have the money, when I have the money I don't have the time!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Dang Roger, that's a nice deal on the lumber!

I missed a performax 16-32 about 7 mo. ago for 500. Same story "I've got a guy coming today to look" I call back "Nope buddy he bought it"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Wel here's another one who is trying to cut a fat hog on some alder.http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mat/1618892117.html
    He wants $7-$8/bd.ft. My supplier will sell it to me for $3.60 bd.ft.
    I guess he believes that P.T. Barnum was right when he said that "there's a sucker born every minute."
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward