Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor Air Filters

Compressor Air Filters

A short time ago, I took apart my compressor << HERE >> to find it was in need of some major clean up and such, I think the main problem was the really low budget air cleaners that it came with, they let too much stuff into the machine, which caused most of the problems with it.

The other day I bought the stuff I need to make some better air filters.

I did look at just buying some from Hitachi or Toshiba, but the air filters, with the housings would cost me well over $100, so I decided to go the DIY way

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_15.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	42705
    OK, this is what I'm starting with, I'm going to make a filter for each of the compressors heads.

The filters are for weedwackers, I think, but they look well made (made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries no less!) They have a foam pre-filter over a pleated filter.

The housing will be in two parts, one part screws into the head of the compressor via at short pipe nipple. The other part will cover the inner housing and the filter. Very much modeled after the kind of compressor filter housing you see on decent compressors.

Name:	airfilter_14.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	42706
    The length of pipe I have is thick walled stuff, it will fit into the straight joint coupling, but now the fit is tight, as it is designed to be water tight, I need to turn down the outside of the pipe a bit to make the fit loose, so air can pass between the outer and the inner housing, but muffle some sound too.

Name:	airfilter_1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	42707
    I have this large cone I used for something else a while back, it just mounts on my regular nova chuck.For the tailstock end I need to turn a cone, the one I have on the Oneway live center is not big enough.

Name:	airfilter_2.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	42708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	42709
    I mount this piece of Maple on the screw chuck and then drill a hole in it for my Beal threader.The bean threader will not fit into my drill chuck, so I just remove the drill chuck from the tail stock.

Name:	airfilter_4.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	42710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_5.jpg 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	42711
    I stick a 14mm wrench on the square end of the tap, and set up the toolrest to hold the wrench from spining. I advance the tap into the wood by turning the wheel on the tailstock, while turning the hand wheel on the lathe. You can see the can of Pam there, I spray this on the tap and the hole, it makes the tap go in easier.

Name:	airfilter_6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	42712
    There the piece is mounted on the lathe.

Name:	airfilter_7.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	42713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_8.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	42714
    I then turn a slight taper on the piece, so I can use it for the tailstock end.
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 02-25-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, your photos came up as invalid attachments. Wazzup?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Stu, your photos came up as invalid attachments. Wazzup?
    Sorry Carol, I had to change computers and then I edited it some more, refresh your page and take another look..
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Name:	airfilter_10.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	42715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_11.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	42716
    I then turned a dovetail tenon on the front, as I need to clean up the back end of the block. I have a 1/4" parting tool with a 15% angle on the cutting tip, this lets me make dovetails easy tenons.

Name:	airfilter_12.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	42717
    I then put it on the adapter that goes on the Oneway live center.

Name:	airfilter_13.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	42718
    here is the piece of pipe mounted between the cones.

Name:	airfilter_16.jpg 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	42721
    I don't need the whole things, so I cut it down to about 13cm, as each piece I need will be only about 6cm long.

Name:	airfilter_17.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	42722
    What I do is use the parting tool to cut almost through the pipe, as it gets close, the pipe gets smaller, as the pressure from the tailstock towards the headstock makes the soft thin plastic kind of crumple.

Name:	airfilter_18.jpg 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	42723
    From there, with the lathe off, I can easily cut the rest of the way with my box cutter.

Name:	airfilter_19.jpg 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	42724 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airfilter_20.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	42725
    There, that piece is cut, now I mount it again........

Name:	airfilter_21.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	42726
    and then turn the outside down by about 2mm, I used the small Ci2 tool for this, worked great, but man is it messy!
    William Arthur Ward

I then cut the straight joint piece in half......

Name:	airfilter_22.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	42727
    The cone that I made for the tailstock end was not big enough for this piece so I used one of my vacuum chucks, worked fine.

Name:	airfilter_23.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	42728
    Next I put the cut in half piece in the jaws of my Nova Titan chuck and cleaned up the ends.

Name:	airfilter_24.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	42729
    Here you can see the filters in the middle, with the inner and outer of parts of the housing done.

I'll get more done tomorrow!
    William Arthur Ward

Here is what I got done......

First a look at the new filters

Name:	new_filter_1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	42758 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_filter_2.JPG 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	42759
    They both have a removable foam pre-filter which will hopefully extent the life of the pleated filter. These look well made.

I had to turn the plates for the housings, the pipe sections will fit onto the plates, I turned a recess for them.....

Name:	housing_plate1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	42760 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	housing_plate2.JPG 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	42761 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	housing_plate3.JPG 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	42762
    I have to say, the vacuum chuck sure works great

I did have the tailstock up just in case for all but the final fitting of the pipe onto the plate. Turning plywood is dusty, dirty,and nasty

Name:	in_out_housings_filter_open.JPG 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	42763 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	in_out_housings_filter_closed.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	42764
    So that is how it fits together, simple enough

I do need a bolt in the center to draw the outer housing tight over the inner housing......

Name:	housing_need_bolt.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	42765

So I found a chunk of plastic like stuff and drilled a few holes....

Name:	housing_bolt_holter.JPG 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	42766
    Worked great!

I then drilled a hole in the top of the filter.....

Name:	housing_bolt_filter.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	42767
    ... and that fits nice......

Cont...........
    William Arthur Ward

Name:	housing_together_1.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	42768 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	housing_together_2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	42769
    There it is all done for now, I will epoxy it all together, paint it and then mount it, should look fair good when done.

Name:	old_vs_new_housings.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	42770
    Here is a comparison between my new filter housing and the old one.

Name:	new_filter_old_filter.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	42771
    and so you can see the problem, the old filter is on the right...... yes, that little blob of dirty foam was the filter

I think the new filter will do a much better job of keeping the inside of my compressor clean

One t go!
    William Arthur Ward

Very nicely done Mr. Ablett!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Stu well done. You inspire me and never cease to amaze me.
    It does strike me that you were missing your lathe though so you cooked up the project to get close and comfy with it. I bet when you cut the pipe for your dust collector you did not do it on the lathe? But then there is a great deal of room for rough cuts in that case Eh!
    Nice filter i am sure its going to be a 1000% better than that old little piece of foam.

Question is do you give those sponge filters a touch of filter oil or should they remain dry. Reason i ask is my son has a Radio control bb engine type car and the filter used there is one of similar sponge and they have an oil for it that you "coat for want of a word" the filter in. It them makes the dust stick to the sponge which then gets cleaned out periodically.

Hey you been watching the Olympics? How do you choose sides? Gotta be proud of the old home though Eh! The boys showed the Russians the other night.
    cheers

Thanks Brent, and Rob, I just simply enjoy doing this kind of thing, makes me think and come up with stuff The fact that I'm saving money and doing it right makes it even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Stu well done. You inspire me and never cease to amaze me.
    It does strike me that you were missing your lathe though so you cooked up the project to get close and comfy with it. I bet when you cut the pipe for your dust collector you did not do it on the lathe? But then there is a great deal of room for rough cuts in that case Eh!
    Nice filter i am sure its going to be a 1000% better than that old little piece of foam.
    Honestly Rob, this kind of thing sucks on the lathe, it is messy, messy messy, smelly and the dust is really bad, takes a LOT more time to clean up than regular turning. I run the DC while I'm turning the plywood, as it is nasty stuff, the dust is really awful, and will dull regular tools in a heartbeat. I use the Ci1 tool for most of it, it works well, and does not need sharpening, but it too dull a lot faster than usual. The spaghetti from the plastic sticks to everything, and it wraps itself around whatever you are tuning, and can, in an instant become a weedwacker, so you got to stop the lathe and pick it all off. Sure, it is better than digging a ditch in the rain, but it certainly is not nearly as much fun as turning some nice green wood or finishing up a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble
    Question is do you give those sponge filters a touch of filter oil or should they remain dry. Reason i ask is my son has a Radio control bb engine type car and the filter used there is one of similar sponge and they have an oil for it that you "coat for want of a word" the filter in. It them makes the dust stick to the sponge which then gets cleaned out periodically.
    They came pre-oiled, but yeah, I know all about that, I even have some of the oil and the air filter cleaner in my bike garage, I have owned a lot of 2-smoke bikes in my time

Hey you been watching the Olympics? How do you choose sides?
    Nope, just reading about it on the net, NHK in all their wisdom are not showing the games live only tape delayed at about 3AM the next day, and they have asked the the live streaming to Japan be blocked, so I can't watch it live on the net, I should have got a Sling Box

Gotta be proud of the old home though Eh! The boys showed the Russians the other night.
    Yep, they are redeeming themselves after they let them Yanks win

The Women have won the Gold medal again and I hear it was a very good game too!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward