A short time ago, I took apart my compressor << HERE >> to find it was in need of some major clean up and such, I think the main problem was the really low budget air cleaners that it came with, they let too much stuff into the machine, which caused most of the problems with it.
The other day I bought the stuff I need to make some better air filters.
I did look at just buying some from Hitachi or Toshiba, but the air filters, with the housings would cost me well over $100, so I decided to go the DIY way
OK, this is what I'm starting with, I'm going to make a filter for each of the compressors heads.
The filters are for weedwackers, I think, but they look well made (made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries no less!) They have a foam pre-filter over a pleated filter.
The housing will be in two parts, one part screws into the head of the compressor via at short pipe nipple. The other part will cover the inner housing and the filter. Very much modeled after the kind of compressor filter housing you see on decent compressors.
The length of pipe I have is thick walled stuff, it will fit into the straight joint coupling, but now the fit is tight, as it is designed to be water tight, I need to turn down the outside of the pipe a bit to make the fit loose, so air can pass between the outer and the inner housing, but muffle some sound too.
I have this large cone I used for something else a while back, it just mounts on my regular nova chuck.For the tailstock end I need to turn a cone, the one I have on the Oneway live center is not big enough.
Attachment 42708 Attachment 42709
I mount this piece of Maple on the screw chuck and then drill a hole in it for my Beal threader.The bean threader will not fit into my drill chuck, so I just remove the drill chuck from the tail stock.
Attachment 42710 Attachment 42711
I stick a 14mm wrench on the square end of the tap, and set up the toolrest to hold the wrench from spining. I advance the tap into the wood by turning the wheel on the tailstock, while turning the hand wheel on the lathe. You can see the can of Pam there, I spray this on the tap and the hole, it makes the tap go in easier.
There the piece is mounted on the lathe.
Attachment 42713 Attachment 42714
I then turn a slight taper on the piece, so I can use it for the tailstock end.