3400 Lath parts

Hi:
I'm new here. I have just refurbished a Rockwell beaver wood lath. I am in need of a head stock spur center. This center is to fit the headstock shaft which is 7/8 by 14TPI. The manufactuer which it turns out is now Black and Decker has no parts for these old machines. Does any one have or know where to get this part. The other alturnitive may be a 7/8 14 to 1" 8TPI adaptor so standard size could be used. Any information will be appericiated
Take Care
George

Welcome George to FWW.

George is your headstock solid or does it have a morse taper such as MT #1 or MT #2, etc? I am assuming that by what you said it is not. If not you may have to see if you can find a 7/8 X 14 to a 1 X 8 adapter. Grizzly may have one. I think the outboard spindle is 3/4" X 16 tpi. I would almost bet that you have a #1 morse taper in the tailstock though. I am guessing that a adapter is going to be a hard puppy to find though. You may have all of this info already but just in case. Ebay may be another place to check and hopefully someone will have more info. I also noted that the lowest speed is 800 rpm which will be fine for spindle and pen turning but bowls that is way to fast especially if the piece is out of balance.

This kinda looks like your lathe and may help.

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/698/2967.pdf

Also found this.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.aspx?id=102

Hope this helps.

Rockwell 3400 / Delta 46-140 Spur Center

The solution to a Spur Center for either the Rockwell 3400 or Delta 46-140 is quite simple.

Buy two parts, a 7/8 x 14 TPI adapter and a MT2 Spur Center. Cut off the Morse Taper from the MT2 Spur Center about 3 mm behind the Spur head.

I mounted the Spur in a drill press and used a hacksaw, this made a nice clean cut.

The Shur head fits nicely in one end of the 7/8 x 14 tpi adapter. Weld the two parts together, clean up the weld on a grinder and paint.

Both of the required parts are available at Busy Bee in Canada or at Grizzly in the USA.