The Rebirth of a Hoosier Cabinet, DONE, final pic

2 coats of zinnser seal coat touch sanded in between, then sanded flat before
3 coats of lacquer, then sanded with scotch bright pad and then 0000 steel wool and wax, 3 coats of wax and rubbed out. i feel like the karatee kid,WAX on WAX off:) but it smooth now.

Well, we gotta get our exercise somewhere, it might as well be finishing. Did you spray the lacquer? It sure came out beautiful.

sprayed both, but i couldnt get the wax to come threw the tip:)

I'm home sick today and a little thick in the head. I had to read that three times before I figured out it was a joke. :rofl:

I tried to get back quick to add this to the previous post but I guess I'll ask it here. The panels appear to have been resawn by you. I was just wondering how thick they were.

no the panels are plywood from my buddy tom:) no credit for them i just cut them..to size. 1/4" and i used toms shaker style cutters to make the door frames.. after i showed him where to find them:)

next time i am gonna resaw my own i think.. like i did on the cherry hutch some time ago

Larry
That is beautiful. My Grandmothers farm house had one of these. My dad bought the house and land when she died back in 52 or so. The kitchen had one very similar this only very well worn and painted. They ended up selling the land( 80 acres) and the house in the late 60's while I was in the Navy so I don't know what ever happened to the old stuff.....

Yours is much prettier, and brings back a lot of memories....

Garry

Last edited:
Delivered to the Final resting place

well its delivered and she was delighted,, had a nice supper and got a big hug and a promise of lots of cookies in the future. i think she liked it:) so here is another frt veiw with no florescent lights on and it shows some of the ray flecks alittle more:) it shows up pretty good in the right light and angel. kinda like those pics in side a pic that you had to stare at to see it all:)

tn_frt veiw FLASH.jpg

I like the fact that you built in a mobile base, too. Very innovative and handy. :p

Seriously, that's some fine cabinetmaking there, Larry. :clap:

One thing now that i know, I would have liked to see a shot from the side with the top extended. If i understood you correct the top slides forward and rests on the draws top right?

One thing now that i know, I would have liked to see a shot from the side with the top extended. If i understood you correct the top slides forward and rests on the draws top right?

Correct kind of Rob. They originally were "the baking center". So the porcelain top was great for rolling out dough, kneading dough, etc. To get a good surface area, it pulls out almost the width of the top cabinet. Actually quite strong and could take kneading and pounding. So, it does pull out, but has its own frame and stop block from being pulled to far forward. The drawers are not part of the structure for the top when pulled out.

Very nice! I'd like some details on the feet or bottom of the leg, if you will. A close up picture and some dimensions, please. I like the shape and want to play with it in a design of a laundry hamper I am working on. Thanks.

Here I'll help my bud and post the asked for pics, hope these help. Carol, Larry will still have to get you dimensions for the legs and Rob the 2 upper drawers pull out with the top.

Attachments

• Larry's Hoosier leg.jpg
    Larry's Hoosier leg.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Larry's Hoosier top extended (600 x 450).jpg
    Larry's Hoosier top extended (600 x 450).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 47
Must have been a long day Larry cause that zing of Vaughn's went right over your head :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I thought I heard a whoosh from somewhere. :p

I had to go back and look at the pics to see if he'd really put wheels on it. :huh:

Hmmm...maybe Larry was just sending me a return volley on the zings. :doh: :D

it does have rollers on it vaughn:) they wernt in on thew rolling cart so i could assemble and spray it and move it around as well.. they just popped in after i deleivered it:p:p:p:p:p:p:) jist like the old ones did.