Woodworking Book Gloat

Bill Satko

The story is long, but the outcome is sweet! I went to get my haircut at my normal spot in downtown Bellingham. It is only a 10 to 15 minute drive (during a busy late afternoon Friday), but I always dread it because I am a minority in a majority of disengaged, cell phone talking, texting or just clueless drivers.

But today was different, as I traversed the way to my destination, I was encased in a bubble of no traffic. I could see cars behind me and in front of me, but by the time I got there they were gone. The few times I was stopped by a light, I was the first one so there was no one in front of me to clog up my travels. Amazing! But it was also very spooky, as no one could be that lucky.

Little did I know, that my luck would hold. After my haircut I decided to stop by one of the best used bookstores in Washington, Henderson's Books. As always I went to the woodworking area and there sitting on the shelves waiting for me was an original 4 volume hardcover set of Bernard Jones "Practical Woodworker". I have the Ten Speed paper back re-issues of the "Practical Woodworker" and the "Complete Woodworker", but this was stupendous find for me. They are in very good condition with tight spines and only an owners name and a date (1922) marked on the inside covers. The price? $35 dollars for the complete set. Checking Bookfinder.com, I found complete sets for $133 and up.

Yep, time to go to the store and pick up that lotto ticket.

Last edited: