Mixture of Colored bowls

Dan Mosley

I thought I would wrap up some smaller bowls i had laying around and used analine dyes. (See Pic Below). The lights made the spots in the pictures........Also attempting to make some finials and this was one that turned out lighter than the wood due to the vessel was oil sanded prior to laquer finish and the finial was simply sanded and laquered...

Still getting that specky finish on some of the projects even with multiple coats of laquer....sometimes 6-8 coats but the coloring was fun on some otherwise bland ugly little bowls.....LOL

Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Mix-1.jpg
    Mix-1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 64
  • Finial-3.jpg
    Finial-3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 44
Good looking bowls Dan. I am wondering did you use oil finish before the lacquer. I used to get that same thing whenever I tried putting lacquer over oil so I quit. If I put anything over oil it is poly only after the oil has dried for several days.

yep I sure did......sanded in Danish oil on the vessel and then laquer.......guess i wont be doing that anymore.......but on the little bowls I did get a little of the same but not as bad ...on the bowls I only used the analine dye.................well still trying to get my finish down I guess...
but thanks................any thoughts on how to improve the laquer over the oil finish at this point?

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will chime. I have just found for me anyway that lacquer over oil just doesn't work well. Get you a can of Minwax spray poly in whatever you like satin, semi or gloss. Gloss sells better for me so that is what I use. Let your oil dry for a few days and hit it with poly and see what it looks like. Check out my post on the finished walnut canister. It is Minwax Antique oil with gloss rattle can poly over it.

I've used spray lacquer over oil/varnish blends like Antique Oil or Formby's Tung Oil finish. It has worked for me, but only if I wait until the wipe-on finish is fully cured. And even then, I'm not sure about the longevity of the finish over the years.

Not sure I'm understanding when you say the lacquer is still "specky" after applying multiple coats. Are you describing little bumps in the finish, or something in the coloration? And at what point in the process are you applying the dye?

Vaughn -On the bowls---- I sanded thru to 220 then applied the dye with 220 sanding in between - let it dry well and lightly sanded with 320...then applied the spray laquer....multiple coats
On the vessel - sanded thru 320 and applied a couple coats of danish oil and wet sanded them in with 500g - wiping each sanded coat down and letting each coat dry for 24hrs.......waited 4 days and used 0000 and then started applying the spray laquer....8 coats....lightly hit 7th coat with 0000 and 8th coat was the final spray
Yes i guess you can call the areas bumps...looks like alot of micro like bumps-spotting.....maybe I should let the danish dry longer --- coloration is fine

I think im going to let the dry now for a week or better and use 0000 to see if I can knock the finish down a bit and just buff them......the small bowls I was just experimenting with dyes on these so im not bothered.....the vessels though I want to salvage so if it works on the bowls ill do that the same way....any thoughts?

Last edited: