Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not what i wanted but

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

not what i wanted but

Here's a couple things i did.The first is cherry crotch with don't no (wood) final and rim.It was gonna be just a hollow form with no final but i got the opening two big.Chipped it out so this is what it turned out to be. Will knock down the finish after it dries good. The other is spalted pecan with holly and ebony. the pic looks like the final is to big. don't look that big in person.. O well might have to rework.
    Thanks and all comments welcome.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 [800x600].JPG   015 [800x600].JPG   016 [800x600].JPG   017 [800x600].JPG  

I like the spalted pecan more than the cherry bowl. I didn't like the bulging rim on the cherry bowl. Other than that both are great.

the cherry one needs some thinning on the top steve the part right below the final, the final could be thinned up some as well in my eye i aint no turner so take this with a grain of sand
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    the cherry one needs some thinning on the top steve the part right below the final, the final could be thinned up some as well in my eye i aint no turner so take this with a grain of sand
    Larry i agree with bouth of ya just don't no how to remount it.

Well, if this is what you get when you don't want it, I wonder what it will be whe you DO want it.!

Although I agree with Larry's comment, they still look great to me.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Stephen,
    I like both pieces... the second better, but both look good to me..

Need to pick your brain... when you put a footing or a pedestal under one of your HF's... when do you add that... after you have the form hollowed, or do you use the pedestal as part of the chucking.... I can see when and how to add the collars and finials, but the footing part gives me a little problem.... I tried a hollow form that I though needed a pedestal and after I added the pedestal, the pedestal was just smaller then the base of the HF... when I tried to make them meet properly, I wound up ruining the piece and it's now fire wood...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Stephen,
    I like both pieces... the second better, but both look good to me..

Need to pick your brain... when you put a footing or a pedestal under one of your HF's... when do you add that... after you have the form hollowed, or do you use the pedestal as part of the chucking.... I can see when and how to add the collars and finials, but the footing part gives me a little problem.... I tried a hollow form that I though needed a pedestal and after I added the pedestal, the pedestal was just smaller then the base of the HF... when I tried to make them meet properly, I wound up ruining the piece and it's now fire wood...
    Chuck not sure if it's the right way. But the way i do it is to turn between centers to get your temp foot that will fit your chuck.Next i'll put in chuck bringing your tailstock quill over to help support it . Turn my shape like you would a bowl. Next i'll hollow it out. Sand and reverse chuck. now bringing the tailstock back for a little more support, i'll turn the tendon down to about a 1/8 of a inch and leave it there. this is so when you add your pedestal it will line up like it should. hope this helped and if not feel free to ask and i'll try to get ya a better answer.

Great looking HF's Stephen. I would make the finials more delicate (thinner) and thin the collar down considerably. Myself I would leave them and chuck it up to experience. It is pretty hard to remount those now without scratching the finish. Maybe a donut chuck might work if you could be it centered properly.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good stuff, Steve. I know what you mean about finials looking bigger on a computer screen than they do in person. I'm trying to force myself to go thinner and thinner, but I still have a way to go. The forms of both vessels look real good to me, but I agree with Bernie on the thinner collars, especially on the cherry piece. Still, they're both very nicely done.

How was that pecan to turn? The one piece of spalted pecan I've turned was definitely pecancrete.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Good stuff, Steve. I know what you mean about finials looking bigger on a computer screen than they do in person. I'm trying to force myself to go thinner and thinner, but I still have a way to go. The forms of both vessels look real good to me, but I agree with Bernie on the thinner collars, especially on the cherry piece. Still, they're both very nicely done.

How was that pecan to turn? The one piece of spalted pecan I've turned was definitely pecancrete.
    Vaughn the pecan is real nice to turn. I've herd other people say the same thing about it.Not sure why this ain't (pecancrete) maybe them worms softened it up some. i have some hickory that i don't want to tuch any more now that it has seasoned. talk about hard.