Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pump

Vacuum Pump

Well got all the parts in and decided today to assemble my vacuum pump. It is assembled and pulls about 23" hg. Anyway it holds real well and hoping I can show a step by step of mounting a bowl and finishing the bottom with total access without any interference especially the tailstock. It will be used to center the piece but after that I can take it away. Light cuts are in order so the bottom can be finished turning then sanded. I bought this system from JT Turning Tools, LLC and the reason was he has new 100 V unit which was great for me as I don't have 220 V in the shop. You can buy a whole system from him or just the parts needed. Will give a report when I have had a chance to run it thru it's paces. Not affiliated but just a happy camper so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Pump 1.jpg   Vacuum Pump 4.jpg   Vacuum Pump 5.jpg   Vacuum Pump 6.jpg   Vacuum Pump 7.jpg  

Vacuum Pump 8.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks good Bernie, I only have 1 question. Are you gonna make a segmented bowl out of hashbrowns..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Looks awesome, Bernie!

It will be life changing for you. It just makes things much easier.
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Thanks. I am going to give it a go later today or tomorrow. Will give a impression then.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on getting it done, Bernie. You're gonna wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

One thing I'd suggest...after centering the piece with the chuck in the tailstock, I leave the tailstock (with live center) in place on the bottom to give me a little extra backup holding the piece. Then when the tenon is turned down to a nub, I remove the tailstock and finish cleaning up the bottom. I'm not sure it's necessary, since I've never had a piece come loose when I was just using the vacuum, but I figure the extra insurance can't hurt.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn. I planned on leaving the tailstock till the nub was read to come off. I already gave it a workout today and it works just great. I am kicking myself for just thinking about doing it for so long.
    Bernie W.

Yeah, I should have figured you'd be wise about the tailstock.

Still, it's pretty amazing how well they hold. With my 6" chuck, it's pretty much impossible to pull a flat blank off by hand (unless it's really, really porous wood). Vacuum chucks really do suck.

workingwoods.com

Bernie,

You've got a nice system started there! Maybe I'm not seeing it, but do you have a reserve tank on the system?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Bill, I know a lot of turners run without a reserve tank on their vacuum rigs...I don't, and offhand I can't think of any turners I know of who do.

As I understand things, due to the porosity of most woods and the relatively short time a piece is being held with a vacuum chuck, the tank doesn't provide a lot of benefit compared to a vacuum press (where there's less leakage and the vacuum needs to be maintained for longer periods of time). In a vacuum chucking scenario, if the pump freezes up, a tank would give you a few moments to turn off the lathe and grab the piece, but under normal operation, the pump would still be cycling fairly often (if not running full time) due to leakage.

If I start using my pump for vacuum pressing, I'll definitely look into adding a tank to my rig, though.

workingwoods.com

I built a tank but I no longer use it, if did not do anything for me but take up space
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward