Pecan kitchen cabinet build

Alan Bienlein

Here is your warning Allen!
Well after some motivation from ya'll I'm finally going to post some pictures. I started this build back in mid December but haven't been very motivated since being laid off Jan. 8th.

Starting from the left is the cabinet above the ref. and the pantry.
2-27-2010 005.JPG
The space to the left of the base is for a wine cooler. The narrow frame to the right of the upper will be a angled open shelf cabinet.
2-27-2010 007.JPG
This is where the computer will end up. The printer will go in the cabinet to the left and the cpu in the narrow opening in the cabinet to the right. The 3 frames sitting on top will have glass doors per loml.
2-27-2010 006.JPG
Due to budget concerns I changed the design slightly and tried my hand at resawing veneer. Here are some pieces already jointed and glued up ready for the vacum bag.
2-27-2010 008.JPG2-27-2010 009.JPG2-27-2010 010.JPG
2-27-2010 011.JPG2-27-2010 012.JPG
These pieces are for the upper cabinets at the computer desk.
Here is one of the backs I'm prepping for glue up.
2-27-2010 013.JPG
And one the sides of the base cab at the computer desk.
2-27-2010 014.JPG

alan, how thick did you cut the veneer ? and how long of pieces are those? thats some mighty good resawun from my stand point..and you either picked your boards pretty good or got lucky to be able to lay them together like that:thumb::thumb: lookun forward to the rest of the story here:)

I was able to get it between 1/16" to 3/32" thick. I would get about 7 pieces out of a 4/4 board. All of the pecan boards have a light and dark side to them. Most of boards I used where about 9-1/2" wide which I ripped in half and then proceeded to resaw them being very careful to keep track of the order. The longest ones are about 64" long and about 18" wide. The one picture where I still have to joint the pieces will end up 64" long by 30" wide.

This is a first for me doing veneer like this and I have you all to thank for giving me the inspiration to do it. If anyone has any tips about it don't hesitate to post them as I'm doing my best to make it look like I know what I'm doing.

Well I cut my stiles and rails for the doors and ran them thru the jointer and planer last night and today. They are about 15/16" thick right now and I'm going to let them sit a few days to reaclimate before I plane them to final thickness.
3-2-10 001.JPG3-2-10 002.JPG
Here is the pile of scrap along with the stack on the bench in the back that I'll use for cooking on the grill.
3-2-10 004.JPG
Now I need to go thru this material and cut my panels for the doors. Gonna be close.
3-2-10 003.JPG

Talk about a close one today. Was planing my stile and rails to final thickness when I looked at the cyclone and seen sawdust in the flex hose between the collection drum and cyclone.:eek: Caught it just in time.
3-2-10 001.JPG
I figured I would open the filter cleanout to make sure I didn't fill the filters up and here is what I found. Not to bad I think and could of been much worse.
3-2-10 002.JPG

Well today I worked on machineing the stile and rails for the doors. These are the ones that get raised panels.
3-5-10 002.JPG
And these will get glass.
3-5-10 003.JPG
Here I picked thru what I had left for my panels. I was fortunate enough to have plenty of pieces that were cut in sequence so I could bookmatch my panels.
3-5-10 001.JPG
All crosscut and ready to be surfaced tomorrow.
3-5-10 004.JPG3-5-10 005.JPG

Well today I went out to the shop to surface the panels and I was going to rip the wider ones in half to joint them like I always have. Well you guys are rubbing off on me cause I figured I would give a shot at using a planer sled.
001.JPG
These pieces I can run on my 6" jointer.
002.JPG
No I don't wish I had a larger jointer cause I would need to upgrade to atleast a 12" plus jointer to do some of these panels. I'm going to let them sit for a day or two to make sure I don't have no problems with movement and then finish surfacing to final thickness. Right now they are 7/8" thick.

Time to empty the dust bin again so I can finish the last few pieces.

allan you havnt glued those frames together yet have you? there just together so you can figure panel width right???? and i thought you made veneer panels for the doors

I like to test fit my frames to double check sizes and also to measure for my panels. So to answer your question they are just sitting there loosely fitted.

All the veneer I was making was for my finished cabinet ends and the interior of the cabinets with the glass doors.

Well I got after it today. Finished planeing the panels to final thickness and glued them together cut them to size and ran them across the router table to raise the panel.
These are the drawer fronts for the pull-out shelves
3-7-10 001.JPG
The door and drawer fronts for the pantry cabinet.
3-7-10 002.JPG
Refrig cabinet doors.
3-7-10 006.JPG
Wall cabinet doors.
3-7-10 003.JPG3-7-10 004.JPG
Drop leaf for the desk.
3-7-10 007.JPG
More doors and drawer fronts
3-7-10 005.JPG
A door panel that I didn't read my dimensions correctly. I cut it to 17- 1/16" instead of 17-7/16".:eek::doh:
3-7-10 008.JPG
The drawerfronts I make as one panel with a center rail and then cut it in half after I assemble it.

Attachments

• 3-7-10 009.JPG
    3-7-10 009.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 55