Pecan kitchen cabinet build

These are pictures that will NOT be shown in our house.:D Not because they are not representative of some great work, but rather cause they will cause me some enormouse work.:rofl:

I just gave loml one of those mixers for Christmas, its a heavy beast and the issue of where to store it and use has already come up. You solution is excelent. Would need me to pull out the entire HD builders kitchen and make new. I aint going there.:D

Allan I am so glad this post came up with all your outfitting of the cupboards because it reminded me a friend of mine asked about similar thing to what you have done with slides.

When you make a pot slide out shelf like that what slides have you used. Are these fully telescoping and any ballpark idea on cost and what weight bearing version do you use? He did his own research and came up with an astronomical price and i have been meaning to post the question here.

Thanks for sharing the detail.

In the event some of the guys who make kitchens cabs or any other cabs for a living have not thought of it, what Alan is showing in his cabinets is the thing that the borg cannot offer. Yeah one can get a cabinet. Done. You stuff things in there and battle to get them in and out.

Then you can get a guy like Alan to make your cabinet and the interior, now they are usable cabinets with serious value add.

I aint to sure that i have heard or seen many guys use this point as a value added feature to the justification for going custom. Not just the looks. For a person that uses their kitchen rather than just wants a show piece this is the way to head off the Borg price comparison and competition.

I have said it before but with the economic times i am going to repeat that when you discussing a job like this with the client its essential you find out the need. Are they a kitchen type person ie like to cook and bake etc. Then you can open this door to adding value as a differentiating selling technique rather than price. Its the same as us buying into features a tool has rather than the basic tool. Depends what they gonna use it for.

Well done Alan.:thumb:

Oh and before someone comes back at me about the cost, well you could always build the cabinet to accomodate the slide out shelves etc and then come back later as an upgrade in the future if you mention it to the client and make provision in the initial deal. There are many ways to skin the value add cat but you need to be creative like Alan.

to add to your last line, it takes alot more than being creative sometimes.
It takes a tremendous amount of talent to turn out a kitchen, and then add on alot more for a kitchen like this.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :D Loml really likes them also.:bliss:

I'm using 100# capacity full extention slides Rob. They are a mix of undermount and traditional side mount. The undermount I got from the cabinet shop I just quit from and the side mount I purchased thru Grizzly. They are all soft close slides except for the pantry pull-outs and the small drawer under the sink. I'm using slides for this kitchen build that range in length from 12" that I used for a small drawer right under the sink instead of a tip out tray to 28" for the pantry pull-outs.

The undermounts came from hardware resources and were about $15 a pair if I remember correctly. The side mount soft close I got from Grizzly and the most expensive was the 26" that cost about$13 a pair. I think they were on sale then and are now about $14.

Just a little update. Our daughter helped us pick the tile for the back splash and I got started on it the past couple of weekends. I figure I would post some pics in case something happened here. The tiles were cut out of 18" x 18" tiles to get the look we wanted.
09-5-2011 010.JPG8-6-11 001.JPG8-7-11 001.JPG

Alan that kitchen looks superb.:thumb::thumb: Looking at you make and show us how you made the kitchen cabs i was getting over my fear of trying. But now seeing the counter top and backspash well i think i leave that diy job to the pros.

It would take me way way too long for my wife to tolerate.

Very nice work. I cannot even begin to let myself think a fire might take it.:(