Pecan kitchen cabinet build

The install is looking great Alan:thumb: Bummer about the crashed top:eek: but I am sure you will come out on top with a repair:thumb: I have enjoyed following your journey and looking forward to the finally............it will be GREAT:thumb:

very nicely done alan, and would love to see them in person that pecan just begs to be seen up close..bet you got a nice hug for your efforts yesterday:) agin this has been a very well documented process...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well monday we got the appliances for the other side of the kitchen. We got a Dacor 30" convection oven, 36" 5 burner gas cooktop, 30" warming drawer and a down draft venthood for the cooktop all for $350.

This past saturday we picked up some 8/4 pecan 7-24-10 001.JPG 7-24-10 002.JPG7-24-10 003.JPGfrom the sawmill and went back today to get some more 8/4. That was all he had so I'll resaw it into what I'll need. While I was the enjoying the smell of the 8/4 walnut he had in the kiln I saw these two pieces of sycamore 7-24-10 004.JPG7-24-10 005.JPG that I couldn't leave behind. They were calling my name. Have no idea why as I don't have any projects planned for them. All I know is the figure was to beautiful to pass them up and they were cut from the same log.

Just have to finish the sketch of the kitchen, get loml's approval and start cutting>:thumb:

I never used sycamore, looks a bit like birch to me.....great grain.....real pretty stuff. maybe a small entertainment unit, and use those as the doors. some oil and pop that grain. or you can always visit me and bring that with you.

I saw these two pieces of sycamore [ATTACH said:
47432[/ATTACH]View attachment 47433 that I couldn't leave behind. They were calling my name. Have no idea why as I don't have any projects planned for them. All I know is the figure was to beautiful to pass them up and they were cut from the same log.

The sycamore looks like quartersawn. I'd love to find some local. I think it look great.

Thanks everyone! The pics might be deceptive cause the 8/4 you see standing in the garage is in addition to the 8/4 in the back of the pickup.

Loml wants a new entertainment center thats smaller than the one we have now so I have some cherry laying around and was thinking of maybe using the sycamore for the door pnls.

Here are the drawings for the second phase. She will have her warming drawer, oven and microwave in here.
View attachment kitchen oven cabinet.skp

And here is the rest of the kitchen layout.
View attachment kitchen phase2.skp

I for got how to post these as pictures.If someone could kindly remind me or if a mod can do it I would appreciate it.

Ok I figured it out.
kitchen phase 2a (800 x 410).jpgkitchen phase 2a1 (800 x 410).jpgkitchen phase 2a2 (800 x 410).jpg

Last edited:
Well I got all the pieces rough cut to size out of the 8/4 for the face frames. They are stickered and in a few days I will start to machine them.
7-25-10 001.JPG
This is what I have left to work with. I picked everything up off the floor7-25-10 003.JPG and have it leaning against the wall.7-25-10 005.JPG It's 4' wide and 3 layers deep so I should have enough to finish the doors.
Just another shot of the shop.
7-25-10 004.JPG
These are the other pieces of granite for the other top. I have to still gring the profile and polish them.
7-25-10 002.JPG

i am quessing that you cut your pieces over size and will resaw them as smaller pieces this way rather than several ft long huh.. yur brighter than oil lamp today alan:D:thumb::thumb:

I actually went thru the materials list and broke it down by the width of the stile and rails I would need. The widest is 3" and the narrowest is 1-1/2". I also cut my longest pieces first and after that I crosscut everything before I ran it on the jointer and thru the bandsaw. Every piece has the final size it needs to be written on it with a few spare pieces just in case.

The reason I cutting out of 8/4 is because the mill was out of 4/4. I also figure It would be easier to book match panels for the doors also.

so that pile of lumber on the cart is already resawn??? if so good luck, i have seen that stuff go south setting out and you are right in waiting for it to do what it wants to do before gettun to far ahead once you open up a stick it releases inner tension sometime alan but i am sure you know that:thumb:

Yes sir Larry. That is the rough resawn lumber on the cart for the face frames. Everything stayed straight while I was resawing except for 2 pieces and those were next to knots. If nothing changes by tuesday evening then I'll start running everything on the jointer and thru the planer. I'll resticker it and in a few more days if all is well I'll start cutting parts to length and start the joinery.:wave:

Well I spent all day saturday and half a day today and got the material for the face frames run thru the planer, cut to length, cut the hunches for the joints, run the bead detail and drill the pocket holes. 14 frames total. I'll start to assemble them tomorrow. Right now in the pictures they are just laying there loose on the floor to check the fit since some of the frames have some unusual joinery.
8-1-2010 004.JPG

8-1-2010 005.JPG

8-1-2010 006.JPG

8-1-2010 008.JPG

8-1-2010 007.JPG

8-1-2010 010.JPG

8-1-2010 011.JPG

8-1-2010 012.JPG

Somehow I still don't feel like I get as much done as Allen would.:dunno::doh::wave:

Last edited: