Pen blank swap?

People have tried getting Ned to send out the box multiple times to no avail. I would say just go ahead and start a new swap with a new list of people who want to take part and when Ned gets round to sending out the box he has he can go ahead with the people who already signed up for that one! :thumb:

People have tried getting Ned to send out the box multiple times to no avail. I would say just go ahead and start a new swap with a new list of people who want to take part and when Ned gets round to sending out the box he has he can go ahead with the people who already signed up for that one! :thumb:

Well Considering we already have the List I see no reason to change the list, But if we start a new list I will be sure and get added again..Either way seems to work fine too me..

I know that Ned is really busy with family and work and will not be around much for a while, so I would suggest that you guys just put his swap on the back burner and go with your swap.

I'll not be taking part this time out, sorry, but I have more pen blanks than I can ever turn, from the US and other places, from previous swaps.

I will be getting around to cutting up some of my shrine wood and giving that away again, in the future.

Cheers!

Soooooo..... are we using the old name list? I would suggest that this start all over from square one. There may be someone on the old list that no longer wants to participate and new folks who do!

Tom

It seems the consensus is to get a new swap running and I have a few thoughts on how we might do it.

1) Try to ship the box across a few temperate zones so folks get to see some blanks from different areas of the country. This would mean folks might try to collect blanks from local trees. Blanks could be marked; donor, species/type, and location.

2) We could set a minimum and maximum # and type of blanks a person could take out and replace. For instance; if I put 5 birdseye maple blanks in, each person could remove 1 of that type, but no more, so more persons could have the chance to try something they might not have. If I know where the blanks are from, I could always contact the sender for more of them. I don't have an strong opinion of the maximum # that could be removed, but think it should be somewhere around 10 if the box held 50 blanks.

3) we could do a pen swap or kit swap along with the blanks. If kits were included it might be nice to include the instructions.

4) I was in at the beginning of first swap and didn't see how the shipping box held up. I could make a metal box that just fits into a flat rate box to help secure the shipment. (weight is not an issue)

5) It would only be fair to have at least 2 cycles so everyone has the chance to see blanks from around the country. If someone wanted to join after the start they would be added at the beginning of the next cycle.

What do you think so far?
Any other ideas?

It seems the consensus is to get a new swap running and I have a few thoughts on how we might do it.

1) Try to ship the box across a few temperate zones so folks get to see some blanks from different areas of the country. This would mean folks might try to collect blanks from local trees. Blanks could be marked; donor, species/type, and location.

2) We could set a minimum and maximum # and type of blanks a person could take out and replace. For instance; if I put 5 birdseye maple blanks in, each person could remove 1 of that type, but no more, so more persons could have the chance to try something they might not have. If I know where the blanks are from, I could always contact the sender for more of them. I don't have an strong opinion of the maximum # that could be removed, but think it should be somewhere around 10 if the box held 50 blanks.

3) we could do a pen swap or kit swap along with the blanks. If kits were included it might be nice to include the instructions.

4) I was in at the beginning of first swap and didn't see how the shipping box held up. I could make a metal box that just fits into a flat rate box to help secure the shipment. (weight is not an issue)

5) It would only be fair to have at least 2 cycles so everyone has the chance to see blanks from around the country. If someone wanted to join after the start they would be added at the beginning of the next cycle.

Any other ideas?

Don't make it so complicated.
This is fun. But, like others, I have years worth of blanks on hand. But, always interested in new and diffrent woods.

Any other ideas?

I think all of that sounds perfectly sensible. The only other thing I might include in the box is a list of names/addresses for the list. The first person to receive the box would cross their name off the list and send it on to the next person.

As much as I love participating in pen and/or pen blank swaps, this one seems doomed from the start in my opinion.

There are 17 names on the present list, assuming everyone stays in the swap. A minimum of 1 week to get from one person to the next, in this case means I probably won't get to swap for 4 mths. I will have lost interest or forgotten about the swap by then.

If I may be so bold to suggest this idea. If it's too late that's OK. A swap of 5 blanks from each person to the next on the list. i.e. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. Now to make it even more interesting, you must take one of the blanks received, turn a pen from it, and send it back to the person you received the blanks from. Some time frames can be put on the swaps, and pictures of the pens are a must after the person receives their pen.

If I may be so bold to suggest this idea. If it's too late that's OK. A swap of 5 blanks from each person to the next on the list. i.e. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. Now to make it even more interesting, you must take one of the blanks received, turn a pen from it, and send it back to the person you received the blanks from. Some time frames can be put on the swaps, and pictures of the pens are a must after the person receives their pen.

We certainly are a diversified group of people with many thoughts on what is fun, part of what makes this such a great place I suppose.
Mack I think your idea sounds like a great one... maybe you would like to go ahead and run with it.

I would like to note something that I have noticed here....
There have been many ideas put forth for swaps and contests and what have you which I think is great. What I find to be very disappointing though is when people pipe up with things like.... but what if people cheat.... I think it's a terrible idea, I would never do something like that etc...
*What* exactly is it that makes a person want to discourage others from doing something that those people might enjoy just because they personally wouldn't want to do it?
If it's not something you are interested in.... just move on? No need to add that you think it's a terrible idea, or that this bad thing and that bad thing and the other bad thing could happen. Let the people who are interested do their thing and have a good time (or not) with it. Not everyone in the world finds joy or fun or peace with the same things.... you have yours, let them have theirs.

If I can add to Kalea's thought, If you don't like it...don't look, listen, read, smell, open, participate, watch or encourage it. To continue Ned's original idea, take out what you want and put in what you want. We are all responsible, adult people and in several cases, have known each other for awhile. The only problem with the first one was that people were not taking out enough blanks! Nice problem to have.
Come on people...let's kick this pig and have fun. If you don't like surprises and having fun...see above.

Have a nice day and be happy that this gift is what some people only dream about. ;):wave:

As much as I love participating in pen and/or pen blank swaps, this one seems doomed from the start in my opinion.

There are 17 names on the present list, assuming everyone stays in the swap. A minimum of 1 week to get from one person to the next, in this case means I probably won't get to swap for 4 mths. I will have lost interest or forgotten about the swap by then.

Mack, I understand how you feel. I also understand that not everyone is going to agree on how this should be done. There is nothing to say that two different swaps could not be taking place at the same time. While this swap can be as the old one was.......another one could be done as you sugested as well. It might be fun to get a handful of people to all send blanks to someone else during the same week, then turn a pen from that stock for show and tell by a pre set date say...3-4 weeks later? Just my thoughts.

Or...Mack.....I've seen what you can do with a pen blank...so how about I send you all my blanks and you send me back beautiful pens :D :rofl:

Tom

If I can add to Kalea's thought, If you don't like it...don't look, listen, read, smell, open, participate, watch or encourage it. To continue Ned's original idea, take out what you want and put in what you want. We are all responsible, adult people and in several cases, have known each other for awhile. The only problem with the first one was that people were not taking out enough blanks! Nice problem to have.
Come on people...let's kick this pig and have fun. If you don't like surprises and having fun...see above.

Have a nice day and be happy that this gift is what some people only dream about. ;):wave:

I agree. What is wrong with the way it was done in the past??
Take what you want and put in what you can. By watching the past swaps thread eveyone seemed to be pleased with their selection.

Aww, now, I was just throwing out a few ideas for the sake of discussion. Certainly a list should be included. I haven't checked to see if everyone has their geographic location in their member info.

I am real busy for a few days and then I will work to set it up.

The Family is a great place and it is good to have the small confab before setting out on something like this. If someone wanted to set up a poll of ideas, that might be helpful, but I don't beat dead horses so...........Simple is good. I do like the idea of a little commitment to send the box on in a weeks time or less. I do get real busy sometimes. If everyone was prepared ahead of arrival.........

If you are in on the swap you might want to PM me your mailing address. (that would give me the geographic locations)

This is supposed to be fun and like i said before I really don't have any strong opinions about how it should be done..........Just some idle thoughts. :D:wave:

I was not a member here until after the first blank swap was already underway so could you all tell me....what size box was shipped first time around? What was cost to ship it?

Tom