Pen blank swap?

I was not a member here until after the first blank swap was already underway so could you all tell me....what size box was shipped first time around? What was cost to ship it?

Tom

Tom,
We were using the large flat rate box... it was chocker block full of some really great blanks... I tried to put back in as many as I took out.... still have a few of the blanks to work up when I get back into the shop now that it's getting a little warmer...

Paul,
My name's on the original list ... I want to stay in the swap... they are lots of fun... even more so when we can get the international guys to add woods from overseas....

After I recieved the box and shipped it out - the shipping cost me $47.00

Somewhere along the way the box was changed from flat rate to standard priority. I had to ship international.

I will participate again - but I am not willing to ship international, neither am I willing to ship standard priority mail.

I would say if that happens again it would be best to head to your local post office and pick up a new flat rate shipping box. I also think Leo that if you were not comfortable spending that amount of money to ship the package over seas you should have contacted Ned to get a different address to ship to, people (most of them) don't read minds.... speak up!
If Paul does as he suggested he might there will be a list of addresses in the box and people can choose where they want to send to... that way people willing to ship overseas can and other people don't feel that they have to.

If the following is a requirement then I am out of the swamp.

1) Try to ship the box across a few temperate zones so folks get to see some blanks from different areas of the country. This would mean folks might try to collect blanks from local trees. Blanks could be marked; donor, species/type, and location.

2) We could set a minimum and maximum # and type of blanks a person could take out and replace. For instance; if I put 5 birdseye maple blanks in, each person could remove 1 of that type, but no more, so more persons could have the chance to try something they might not have. If I know where the blanks are from, I could always contact the sender for more of them. I don't have an strong opinion of the maximum # that could be removed, but think it should be somewhere around 10 if the box held 50 blanks.
~~~~~~~
If it is take out what you want and put back in what you want and ship to anyone left on the list ---->then I would like to participate.

Paul Gallian

After I recieved the box and shipped it out - the shipping cost me $47.00

Somewhere along the way the box was changed from flat rate to standard priority. I had to ship international.

I will participate again - but I am not willing to ship international, neither am I willing to ship standard priority mail.

Holy cow Leo! That's crazy. I would like to think this would not be more that about $15.00 for anyone.

Tom

I just noticed that the thread had been moved. So it's time to get my head back in the game.

Here's what I am thinking:

#1) I might be able to hand the box off to a Canadian member if they could make it to either Detroit or somewhere else in Michigan. I cringe at the international shipping costs and wonder if the system can be thwarted. :D This is just an idea and an attempt to be creative in problem solving. I have no idea if customs would have a problem with a box of dried wood and plastic. Another option would be to get it to someone near Buffalo NY with a close by Canadian Member.

I don't think this overly complicates things but this is just my opinion. I did see Ron Keeble in Michigan last summer when he came to visit. This is why I thought of a hand off to avoid the high shipping costs. The Canadian members could then ship it around their neck of the woods before we arrange a new cross border exchange. Again I have no idea if this would cause a problem its just an idea............

#2) We in the states can ship a standard flat rate box for no more than $15.00. If you can't fit everything into that size then you didn't take enough out...............

#3) I don't know were the original list of participants is. Someone needs to point me in the right direction or everyone who wants to participate needs to send me a PM with the appropriate info.

#4) I suggest that; (only suggestions, not rules) that you try to ship it somewhere far away from your local because it won't cost any more for us States folks and this means the recipient might see something new.

The recipient decides where to ship it next and crosses his name off the list.

Lets try to label what we put in and also include our name so we know who to thank or badger for some more.:D

More than this and it starts to get complicated. Although until I ship the box I'm open too suggestions.

nuf said.

Glad to see you're back Paul!
I moved the thread to it's proper home... I think people are still getting adjusted to the new "Giveways, Contests, and Swaps" section.

I personally think it would probably be best to just go ahead and have everyone that is ready and willing to participate in this swap speak up and send you their info that way you are sure that the people on the list *want* to be there. It has been a long time since the last list was started and there is no way of telling if those people still want in.

In regards to having a list in the box.... put in what ever names/addresses you get within the next couple of days and ship the box out. If you wait too much longer people are going to get frustrated and lose interest again. Since people will be checking in here at the forum when they have the box, at any time new people could speak up that they want in and who ever is in possession of the box can add their name/address to the list.

So I will pipe up and say I would be happy to be on the list and I don't even mind shipping overseas if it is within my means at the time that I have the box... I would be more than happy to receive the box as soon as you are able to ship it out. :thumb:

I sure don't need more pen blanks but will participate just to avoid being a wallflower.
But, I do agree, paying $47.00 postage is a burden we should not expect anyone to bear.
I would like to follow the KISS principal as far as rules are concerned. However, one I would like followed is that no one put in more than the box will comfortably hold. If you take five, put back five, not ten.
As far as taking fancies and leaving the plain for the next guy. Let your conscience be your guide.
But send the nice burls to me first. ;):rofl:

Paul,

I am willing - sounds like a good plan you have there.

In the original plan - there was a thought to include a finished pen made just for the swap. Labled with wood type, pen type and name of maker. I thought that was a great idea.

Kalea - the only way to know what the shipping cost will be is to be standing with a packaged and labeled box at the post office counter. Yep, I could have turned around and left - but in the interest of keeping the swap going I sent it. I would do it again. Not really sorry, but I was shocked - and I don't want to see it happen again, to anyone. By me posting this - we can take steps against it to be sure it doesn't happen again. So I do hope you don't think I am just complaining - for the sake of complaining. That's just not my way.

All you "I'm in " folks need to send me your mailing addresses. So far I've only gotten a couple of addresses. I am planning on spending a good deal of time in the pen shop this week so the box can be sent out pronto.

SEND ME THE ADDRESSES!:D