Pen blank swap?

I am about ready to fire off a salvo of pen blanks. Going postal. :D

I sent out PM's to those who haven't sent their mailing addresses.

I will be talking to Jim Burr about maybe combining the 2 swaps

I hope I'm not steppin on any toes but, I would suggest a few changes;

1) send the box to whomever you like, and cross their name off the list. Surprises are mostly fun.

2) Build a pen from a received blank and send it back to the sender.
This means that blanks need to be labeled by type of material and who put it in the box.

3) I like the idea of trying to send the box across a few temperate zones so we get to see some woods that aren't normal to our area. This is just a suggestion and I realize the swap is populated by a bunch of Easterners who seem to live on the same block:D It is certainly optional. It won't cost any more if we ship it back and forth across country.

I got to go cast some GO SPARTANS (green and white) blanks! so all you folks can have the rarified opportunity to make a genuine Sparty pen.

I do not like #2 and #3 ---

If the majority wish to do so then please delete my name from the list.

I do no need any more pressure, deadlines and detail/rules to follow in my life right now..

This is written with respect! Just the way my life is right now..

Paul Gallian

All in favor of deleting #2............ 3 yeas, The yeas have it. We will delete #2. We do of course live in a constitutional republic, (so I've been told) so anyone who wants to implement #2 has their own persuasion to obey. I still think we should label the blanks though. It would be nice to know where they come from.

I actually wasn't that thrilled with the idea, I just thought it might be the concensus. I am not opposed to someone throwing a pen kit in if they want to. We can choose to swap pen stuff at will as long as the box doesn't get too busy.

Thanks for the addresses. I will try to get something in the mail early next week.

Thank you for deleting the #2 Requirement (never presented as an option).

it looks as if we can send to anyone left on the list -- that seems to negate #3.

I feel much better! and would like to participate.

If anyone would like pens blanks from my area (oak - hickory sear forest) with the wood associated with such.
just ask and I will be glad to trade.

I still think it's a good idea for people to label what they put in with their name and what the blank is whenever possible.

I think I may have some address label blanks that go into a printer. If I can figure it out I might throw that in the box to make the mailing a little easier. There would still be a master list included.

Frank, I have thought about labeling my blanks also. Another thought is to make a logo for our business and get a branding or ink iron to label wood blanks. I sell some blanks to Woodcraft on occasion.

Frank, If you find yourself labeling your shorts and socks so you know what they are, it's time to give up the fight to remember. :D:rofl::rofl: (I can't seem to remember a lot of things these days. However I can't decide or remember if it bothers me.)

I think I may have some address label blanks that go into a printer. If I can figure it out I might throw that in the box to make the mailing a little easier. There would still be a master list included.

Frank, I have thought about labeling my blanks also. Another thought is to make a logo for our business and get a branding or ink iron to label wood blanks. I sell some blanks to Woodcraft on occasion.

Frank, If you find yourself labeling your shorts and socks so you know what they are, it's time to give up the fight to remember. :D:rofl::rofl: (I can't seem to remember a lot of things these days. However I can't decide or remember if it bothers me.)

A psychologist would go bonkers trying to figure me out. I do organize my clothes, underwear, etc. Most things in my life are well organized. My shop is despite appearances. I do let it get dusty but everything is well located for my needs. My desk however :eek: , well actually I THINK my desk is still there under all the paper. :eek: I'm sure it is a sign of complete insanity or pure genius. Methinks the former. ;)

Frank, I did the personality/ psychological profile tests that showed I had a 'creative type" personality. As you may have heard, creative people tend to be messy. I do like order, but it's a constant struggle. When I go to attempt to clean my shop I feel like I'm working a giant puzzle similar to those little puzzles where you have to move the little squares around in order to see the picture. If I was wealthy, I think my pole barn would be rather large., but that's a separate disease.

On my agenda this week; Talk to a piano refurbisher for advice on refinishing a grand piano I just bought, Felling a walnut tree for a friend who needs it for moulding, working with the same friend sawing logs, getting a few loads of firewood, fixing a washing machine, moving furniture, getting the pen blank swap box in the mail, meeting with an accountant, fishing for steelhead trout, ...........that aught to take a few days, I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxation..........:dunno:

Frank, I did the personality/ psychological profile tests that showed I had a 'creative type" personality. As you may have heard, creative people tend to be messy. I do like order, but it's a constant struggle. When I go to attempt to clean my shop I feel like I'm working a giant puzzle similar to those little puzzles where you have to move the little squares around in order to see the picture. If I was wealthy, I think my pole barn would be rather large., but that's a separate disease.

On my agenda this week; Talk to a piano refurbisher for advice on refinishing a grand piano I just bought, Felling a walnut tree for a friend who needs it for moulding, working with the same friend sawing logs, getting a few loads of firewood, fixing a washing machine, moving furniture, getting the pen blank swap box in the mail, meeting with an accountant, fishing for steelhead trout, ...........that aught to take a few days, I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxation..........:dunno:

Paul
My creative bent is writing. One of the heaps of paper are notes and research materials for the novel I have been working on for three years.
You sound busy, that is good. Living in a retirement community has taught me much about how to enjoy the later years. Being a little nuts isn't a bad thing. When I stop enjoying life and goofing off, y'all are invited to come by and throw handfuls of dirt in my face.
Currently, among (many) other things, I am heavily involved in supporting someone in a political race for U.S. Senate. Tonight I am hosting a fund raising for him. I invited a large group of the wealthy heavy-hitters in our county. Very ironic I am the host. These guys bet more on a round of golf than I earn with my SS in a month.
Retirement can be, and IMHO, should be one of the busiest period of your life.
Carry on. :thumb:

My creative bent is writing.

Funny you mention that Frank, I am also working on a book. It is not a novel but rather a book on a subject related to my faith. In regards to the political stuff; way to go, that is a good thing for all Americans to do. I heard that in the old days in the farming community I live in, when it was raining, a lot of the farmers used to get together at the local bar and drink beer and argue politics. Aside from the drinking, I think our country needs to get back to that habit. I think people are too isolated and/or get their ideas from the TV rather than having to defend their thoughts to their peers. I have had my mind changed about subjects more than once when I spouted off to someone. :D Of course, I'm Irish, so a good go around is good for the mind :D

PEN BLANK SWAP

I have a medium flat rate box just about full of blanks and ready to ship. It will cost $10.70 to ship it per person.

I figure this will be large enough. Whomever receives it will have to remove enough blanks to fit their contributions into the kitty.

The "rules" are simple; take blanks out, put blanks in, pick a name from the list and ship the box on. Cross off the name you shipped the box too.

Try to label blanks with your name and what they are made of.

It would be nice to show pictures of what you receive and what you ship. and also pictures of what you make from the blanks.

I may include a paper with some helpful hints on using some of the blanks. ( I put in a crosscut blood wood blank and it can be difficult to turn). Folks should feel free to PM the sender if they need or want any advice on turning a blank.

You all now have about 24 hours to add any ideas or suggestions. I guess we could change something midstream, but i can't think of anything right now. :D