Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All my wood is ruined

Amherst, New Hampshire

All my wood is ruined

The power went out thursday night and just came on a few hours ago. By the time I heard my basement water alarm there was 3" of water in my basement. It was 1:00 am before I could get the generator running and the sump pumps going. I also had the bottom and top of the hutch I just built for my son sitting on the floor waiting for him to pick it up. I'm sick over this.
    This is really depressing
    I had recently got a good deal on common cherry and it (as all my lumber is) laying on sticks flat on the floor.
    All the tools are ok anyway. Got the dehumidifier running full blast now.
    We had 12" of snow then 4" of rain and super high winds. This is the first time in 6 years I've got water in the basement. I should of opted for the battery backups for the pumps.
    I take and post a few pics tomorrow. Any ideas on how to save anything will be appreciated.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Delton, Michigan
    bob was the hutch done with finish on it? if so possibly the moister didnt get threw the finish.. as for your stash, if it wasnt already planed down to almost final thickness it should dry back out in time and you can clean off the water stain. sorry to hear of your trouble
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Larry, the hutch was not finished. My son was going to take it to his house and do it himself.
    The cherry and some pine was rough so maybe I can save some. The maple, oak and the rest of the pine had already been planed though.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-30-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarity....

new york city burbs
    ah man, sorry to hear this.

Indianapolis area
    That's definitely discouraging. But don't give up on it yet. The wood will dry out--keep it stickered, flat and give it plenty of time. The cabinet will also dry out. Sanding may make it as good as new. I'm hoping for the best for you.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

North West Indiana
    Bob, I know about flooded basememts and the discouragement that goes along with it. Follow the above advice. It isn't the first time that there wood got wet! Stickering and air flow. I do suggest you take it out of the basement, might not have enough air flow down there and mold will start. Not bad on the wood, turners pay plenty for spalted wood!! But if it is real wet/saturated, it will hamper your dry out efforts in the basement. The hutch, I agree, get it up, maybe a fan on slow just to get drier air or air movement around it, and give it time. By the time you are back in business and ready to work, it may be ready for you to work on it! Good luck, sorry to hear of the news, but hey, with all that is going on in our world right now, in the scheme of things, this is just a glitch. Sorry you aren't closer for us to come help you with your dilema.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Kansas City, Missouri
    I'm sure there are some chemicals that others will suggest that will save all of it. Mostly you don't want any bacteria or mold to start affecting it, and chemicals to affect your finishes. You may have to sand down the hutch a bit, but it should be fine. I'd take Jonathan's advice to move it from the basement and get some air moving over them.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I agree, stack and allow your wood to dry properly and it will come out OK. As for the hutch, I suspect some staining of the wood but again, allowing it to dry properly and you should be able to clean up any damae.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Oh Bob sorry to hear this happened to you. I dont know anything about how to save it all but the advice given sounds good.

I hope and wish it works out. Guess you gonna upgrade the pump backup system.