Advise and help needed

Rob Keeble

I have a project or two to post however Loml says i cant until i finish them. Now finish in her books dont mean what we mean. :D To her she says finish is when it dont have chips missing.

So in an attempt to please her and not post something that is "Unfinished: i need some advice.

I turned a small bowl out of a branch full of knots. Now i made the bowl with the end grain showing on the sides which resulted in the knot extending the full width of the side.

Of course i made the edge thinner and thinner and sharper and sharper then it happened and pop a piece of endgrain wall flew out. Well what started out a large piece got smaller and i guess you all know the story.

So i used a dab of Ca glue and glued a big piece back but on the otherside a small piece is missing and i was going to just leave it that way. We talking 1/8 or less deep "v" in the edge.

The wood is Osage orange.

Any advice on how i should proceed to repair this without causing it to fall apart.

When i put the small piece back and used CA i coated the whole edge with CA and when dry i sanded it and then applied wipe on poly. ( wow first time i ever used this stuff and what a wake up)

So its all ready but Loml says fix before you post.

Heeeeeelllllllllpppppp:D

Wait a minute, we have ALL posted Work In Progress pics to get advice etc...:dunno:

I'd say a WIP pic, as long as it is taken in the workshop, with some dust and or curlies around and a tool or two, with not great lighting, would be fine, then when you do get it done, a really nice "Presentation" pic would be in order :D :thumb:

Coffee grounds or saw dust mixed epoxy...

Or ground up charcoal, although that'll contrast a lot with the osage orange. Also, medium CA glue can be used instead of epoxy. I use whatever will flow best into the spot I'm filling, and that varies from fix to fix.

Rob, on bowls with flaws on the rim, in most cases I've had my best success just trimming the rim back to good wood and living with a smaller bowl. This has to be done carefully, though, especially if the bowl is thin. For something an 1/8" deep, I'd even consider just using the 80 grit gouge, depending on the final rim profile you're looking for.

And of course, pics would help. :p

Thanks Vaughn. The whole problem is i am down to as small as i want to go. Anymore and it might as well be firewood.

I made an executive decision and I will post pictures regardless. This bowl and others were my starters so i aint concerned. Just hope Loml dont see.

I will try the fillers but they will show given the locations. Hey I am still in the early learning stage. :eek:

Just had a spinny shop weekend. :)