Computer desk plans?

Dave Hanson

I have been looking online for plans for a "office style" desk with a hutch, but have not any luck. Either free plans or purchased, I' am not very good at Sketch Up.

Any help would be helpful.

Dave

I have been looking online for plans for a "office style" desk with a hutch, but have not any luck. Either free plans or purchased, I' am not very good at Sketch Up.

Any help would be helpful. Dave

Me Too! I've been looking at different desks for months without finding one that says, "Yeah! that's the one"

I built one a few months ago, got the plans from the September 2005 issue of Wood Magazine. You might check your local library before ordering plans, mine has back issues all the way to the early 80s. If you can't find it there, you can buy the plans here: http://www.woodstore.net/sesedesy.html

Here are some pics of the one that I built, it's done in poplar and finished with General Finishes water based espresso stain. Sorry that the last picture is a bit fuzzy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Took me a while to get around to finishing the cabinet doors- here they are installed:

attachment.php

Attachments

• finished desk 1.jpg
    finished desk 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 85
  • finished desk 2.jpg
    finished desk 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 87
  • finished desk 3.jpg
    finished desk 3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 87
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 86
I'd be careful about building something for a "computer" which has changed dramatically since I bought a "computer" desk when I first graduated from college in 1996. At the time my home computer was a tower case over 2' tall and proably as deep. The monitor was a monster, taking up proably 18x18" of desk space. My scanner took up a bunch of space as did my printer. And all those diskettes and CD's...

Now our home computer is a laptop about 16"x12" and 2" thick. It spends most of its time on the end table by the couch or on the kitchen counter. The few CD's we have are stuck in a box in a closet--most software is downloaded. The printer/scanner/copier/fax machine is in my office and we connect to it wirelessly.

For work, I've got a laptop, a keyboard and a huge flat panel monitor that take up a bit of desk space but the more traditional desk I have is much more functional than a "computer" desk would be.

(By the way, I say this as someone who invested months building an "entertainment center" about 8 years ago. Now its in our basement because our flat panel TV wouldn't fit and one that would is so small its not even funny. Our new "entertainment center" looks suspiciously similar in basic shape to what was sold as a "console" in the 50's. )

That's good advice Matt.

I built a music workstation a little over a year ago and created a cubby hole for the monitor I had then. Little did I know how much the prices would drop on the wide screen monitors. Now I wish I had built it with room for 2 wide screen monitors. It's still working, but I'm seriously thinking about taking the sawzall to part of it and redoing it in the future (Fine furniture, it's not)... :thumb: