Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bosch 10.8 and now 12volt??

bosch 10.8 and now 12volt??

i have one of the 10.8 drivers and like it and was told the impacts are very useful by someone that knows tools.. well that was abit ago and now i see the 10.8 is apparently going away??? so i have two batteries for that and if i get a impact i will have it in 12v i think so do i get a 10.8 impact and use it till the batteries go away and then upgrade both to 12v at that time??/ calling the tool gurus whats your take on these and whats your suggestion on what to do.. and no chuck i am not going to use the handle version and arm power always...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i have one of the 10.8 drivers and like it and was told the impacts are very useful by someone that knows tools.. well that was abit ago and now i see the 10.8 is apparently going away??? so i have two batteries for that and if i get a impact i will have it in 12v i think so do i get a 10.8 impact and use it till the batteries go away and then upgrade both to 12v at that time??/ calling the tool gurus whats your take on these and whats your suggestion on what to do.. and no chuck i am not going to use the handle version and arm power always...
    Larry,
    They're actually the SAME BATTERY! I have the drill, driver, and the longer 'stick' driver with the articulating head. The stick driver was advertised at 10.8V, and the other two at 12V. All six batteries are exactly the same! So are the three chargers.

A Bosch rep - demonstrating at Hartville Hardware - told me that the batteries are 12V fresh off the charger, with no load, but under an operating load are actually 10.8V. It sounds like advertising BS to me.

But I must say I really like the smaller, compact tools, and the batteries have plenty of power, and hold a charge well. They're fast becoming the most used battery-powered tools I have.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

so how do you like the impact jim, i like the driver alot and just didnt want to get nailed is it better than the normal driver in your opinion

Larry, I have an impact driver and i can bring it over for you to give a try to see if you like them, I do by the way

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Larry, I have an impact driver and i can bring it over for you to give a try to see if you like them, I do by the way
    sounds like time for some barley pop..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    sounds like time for some barley pop..
    US never

I know that my brother swears by his "little" Bosch impact driver in every day commercial use.

He is an HVAC chief engineer for a company that maintains large office buildings across North America. He developed serious carpal tunnel problems working his way up to that position (and he's only 35) opening and closing tens of thousands of access panels using hand screwdrivers and nut drivers.

His mantra to his crews is to keep these in their bags because he doesn't want them to have this same experience.
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 03-02-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so how do you like the impact jim, i like the driver alot and just didnt want to get nailed is it better than the normal driver in your opinion
    I don't have the impact driver (yet). Mine is essentially a drill with the ¼" driver bit chuck. It has a clutch, and does turn a bit slower than the actual drill though. It's probably the one (of the three) that sees the most use.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Larry, my impact driver is a 14.4v Makita, but if the Bosch is anything like it, it'll become your favorite battery-powered tool. Absolutely amazing to see what an impact driver can do, and how easily it can do it.

My only complaint about my Makita driver (and drill and flashlight, for that matter), is that after a couple of years of use, the batteries don't have any shelf life after they're charged. They run fine fresh off the charger, but if they sit overnight off the charger, they're be too weak to use. I was gonna buy a couple of replacement batteries, but Reconditioned Sales had the refurbished impact driver kit on sale a couple months ago. I ended up getting my second impact driver, another charger, and two more batteries for the cost of one replacement battery.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

well i havnt got the cans to the store yet but i am gonna get one of them impacts after jims thoughts and clarification on the batteries and dans on the impact in genral.. his comments reflected my buddies comments to a T i my buddy was thirsty when he said it so i had to confirm the truth from a normal person