Delta Table Saw on Craigslist

Dan Pierce

I'm looking for a new table saw and found this Delta 34-670 on craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/1621034683.html

Price seems a little high to me. Maybe that's why it hasn't sold yet?

I bought the cheapest thing at Sears when I started last year because I wasn't sure if I would stick with it. $300 is the max I can spend for a new one right now and this is the best thing I could find on craigslist in my area.

Way too high of a price for that saw, IMHO. The saw seems to get OK reviews from people who have one, but the common theme seems to be "it's OK, but not great". It might be a very slight upgrade from your current saw, but for $275, I'd keep looking. ;) Keep your eyes on Craigslist though, because decent deals do come along. If you can find someone with a good contractor saw who's upgrading to a cabinet saw, you can likely find a much better saw for a price in the same range as the Delta you're looking at.

Just poking around in your local CL, I see this one:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/1625393620.html

It's got a universal motor (like the Delta), but it's gotten good reviews from what I've seen.

Yeah, I just noticed that one too and it was posted today. I'm looking for something a little more sturdy and with a better fence. I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the Ridgid R4511 clearance at Home Depot. I was thinking about buying it around Christmas and probably could have gotten the price adjustment when they clearanced them out at $299.

If it's the gray one, I believe it's the model that preceded the TS3650 that some of us have. I don't recall seeing anything either good or bad about the gray ones...I do know I've been very happy with my 3650. :thumb: I suspect it would be a nice step up from your current saw.

One of the great things about buying a used tool is that if something doesn't work out for you, or you find something better down the road, you can usually sell it for close to (or the same as) you paid for it.

If it's the gray one, I believe it's the model that preceded the TS3650 that some of us have. I don't recall seeing anything either good or bad about the gray ones...I do know I've been very happy with my 3650. :thumb: I suspect it would be a nice step up from your current saw.

He sent me some pictures but doesn't know what model it is. Says it is the "latest model of 2004" and I've attached one of the pictures he sent. He also says "it is in great condition and well worth the $300."

Attachments

• Saw top 2 copy.jpg
    Saw top 2 copy.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
That is indeed the gray one that preceded the 3650. Model # is 3612. I have it and it is a good little saw. Came with a lifetime warranty. Only bad thing I've heard anyone say about it is the lace work extensions can pinch a finger. I've not had any bad episodes. Some cut out MDF or masonite panels to fill in to keep that from happening. The mobile base is superb. Same as the 3650 has. Fence is decent. Has a serpentine belt instead of a V belt that some other contractor saws use. Might ask if he will take 250.00 for it. Otherwise still probably a decent deal at 300.00 I paid 599.00 for mine new. Jim.

That is indeed the gray one that preceded the 3650. Model # is 3612. I have it and it is a good little saw. Came with a lifetime warranty. Only bad thing I've heard anyone say about it is the lace work extensions can pinch a finger. I've not had any bad episodes. Some cut out MDF or masonite panels to fill in to keep that from happening. The mobile base is superb. Same as the 3650 has. Fence is decent. Has a serpentine belt instead of a V belt that some other contractor saws use. Might ask if he will take 250.00 for it. Otherwise still probably a decent deal at 300.00 I paid 599.00 for mine new. Jim.

Yeah, I'd be worried about the extensions dinging up my workpiece also. I didn't see a fence in the picture so I wonder if it's included. I think I'll wait for something else. What do you think is a good price for a 3650 on craigslist if I see one?

Dan,
A good rule of thumb when buying used is no more then 50% of the price new and then only if it is in excellant shape. Also whatch the Borgs, they often have clearance sales on new stuff, especially if they are changing manufacturers. I picked up a ject contractors saw that was listed at $795. I paid $150 when lowes changed from Jet to delta.

Good call to stay away from the lattice wing tablesaw. I have pinched a few fingers when using friend's saw. I would bet things would always be falling through them.

Don's 50% rule is a good max price reference.

Now patience :D

I haven't seen the Harbor Freight tablesaw in person, so I have no advice as to its quality. Knowing their reputation, I'd be a bit leery,though. HF makes a lot of good usable tools, but they are generally tools that aren't real reliant on tight manufacturing tolerances, like my dust collector. For a tablesaw, I'd want to be sure adjustments stayed adjusted, and the looser the manufacturing tolerances, I suspect that more difficult that'll be. If you do consider getting this one, I'd suggest checking it out pretty closely before buying it. Look for stripped-out adjustment knobs and screws, and see how easily and smoothly things move when you adjust things.

On the upside, if you get it and later decide you don't want it, you should be able to sell it for about the same amount you paid.

Ditto what Jeff said. I'd take the Ridgid for $250 any day over the HF for $250.
2thumbsup.gif
Plus he's got the dado blade as part of the package. Even a cheap one is $50 and up.

This looks like a good one to pursue. ;)

I have a cast iron lattice top saw and have never had any problems whatsoever :huh: Kind of looks like the HF picture that was posted. Mines an older Craftsman. I really like it.
The top is easy to level. Its a lot more accurate than a stamped extensions IMHO.
Haven't pinched my fingers on it yet. But Murphy's Law says that it will probably happen today:rofl::rofl:

The Ridgid looks like it could be an real nice saw. I hope it works out for you.