Thread: Didn't take long to get in trouble

Didn't take long to get in trouble

Been self learniong woodworking over the last few months. As a simple project, I built a narrow cabinet to house/hide an old intercom system. All went well until the door. It is a sinple overlay on a face frame. The frame of the door will hold speaker cloth instead of a panel. Here's where I got over my head.

I used a router bit with a bearing to create a 3/8" rabbet around the inside edge of the door frame. The idea was to create a ledge to attach the speaker cloth to and them place some kind of molding over it to clean up the edge. What I didn't realize is that the bearing naturally created rounded corners. Those that know what they are doing will tell me no problem; but I have been struggling with deciding how to deal with those rounded corners and install the molding. Some ideas that came to mind are:

- Chissel it square - Not sure I trust myself at that
    - Carve out the underside of the molding to overlap the curve and thus square it
    - Try two parts to the molding. One to fill the rabbet and the other to overlap the first and the curve.

I am proabably writing too much; but would appreciate any advice from the experts out there

Thanks in advance
    Sal Cangialosi

All of the above will work just fine. Go with the one you feel most comfortable doing. Then try the others on scraps just to sharpen your skills.
    I would go the chisel the corner square route.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Cangialosi View Post
    - Chissel it square - Not sure I trust myself at that
    That would be my choice. A nice sharp chizel.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

falcon heights, minnesota
    that's what i do with my picture frames, chisel it square. there are corner chisels made for just for this.
    benedictione omnes bene

ABQ NM
    Add another vote for chiseling it square. Just take small bites, and it should be pretty easy. You can use a straight edge and an Xacto or utility knife to mark the line where you want to cut, then work your way up to that line a little at a time. I think you'll be surprised how easy it is.

I'll also second Chuck's suggestion to try all the methods you listed on scrap materials, if for no other reason than the experience.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Long Hill Township, NJ
    You not in trouble - your just being tested!

Ditto on the advice already given.

As always, thanks for the replies. I'll take the advice on using a chisel to get the corners square. sghould be a good test of patience

Thanks again
    Sal Cangialosi