Thread: Delta 46-460 Variable Speed Midi Lathe

Delta 46-460 Variable Speed Midi Lathe

Does anyone have one of these lathes can you give some input on what it really is able to do.
    I'm getting convinced part of it is the cost & the fact I usually don't turn anything over 12" & the fact is my old Delta double duty lathe would do almost 11" but the lowest speed is 750 RPM which isn't much fun to start a bowl on. The current bowl started out as an 8" blank & was well rounded on the band-saw. The lathe & bench all 420 pounds of it shook real good at 750 RPM.

Another question does anyone have the bed extension & what does the lathe length measure over all. I'm hoping to use my current bench to mount the lathe to. I may not always need the length but it sure would be nice to have if needed.

Thanks.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I have one on order. A friend has one with the bed extension and factory stand and it is nice. He replaced the Jet variable speed with this one. Hopefully it gets here this week.

I've read a lot of positive comments on that lathe. I know at least one Jet 12-20 owner who's said if the Delta was available when he bought the 12-20, he would have had a hard time deciding between the two. When I get a small lathe (one of these days), I'll be looking real hard at the Delta, Jet, and Rikon 12" midis.

Based on what I've found searching, it looks like the overall length of the 46-460 is 36", and the extension bed adds another 25 1/2" to that. So it looks like 59 1/2" total, if the specs on the Delta site are correct. How long is your bench?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    as I answer in my best Frank Fusco voice "You need to look at the Grizz. Gxxxxx"....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    as I answer in my best Frank Fusco voice "You need to look at the Grizz. Gxxxxx"....
    Nah, the 12" Grizzly G0658 has the backward banjo. The tool post should be on the headstock side of the banjo, not the tailstock. As it is now, it'd get in the way of larger turnings. It also has no bed extension available. Aside from those things, it looks pretty good on paper, although the Delta has an extra 1/4 hp.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

this looks like a good buy.

10"X14" Indexing Mini Lathe
    Stock No. 708375

List Price $481.00
    Sale Price $349.99
    4Day Sale Double Markdown Price:
    $279.99!
    You Save $201.01!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    this looks like a good buy.

10"X14" Indexing Mini Lathe
    Stock No. 708375

List Price $481.00
    Sale Price $349.99
    4Day Sale Double Markdown Price:
    $279.99!
    You Save $201.01!
    Well Paul where is it????? There must be someone here that wants to know. I already have a mini lathe or I would jump n it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Got an e-mail from Jet. On sale at that price March 11 through 14 I guess where Jet tools are sold.

So Paul did it look like this???

If so I already have one. Won it in a drawing as a prize at a BBQ / woodworkers / turners get together. But I need the lower speed & a bit more power & swing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turning 32.jpg