Alergic reaction to Walnut..

Don Baer

Staff member
I turned a small walnut bowl for my niece and did most of the sanding on it yesterday. Woke up this moring and my eye are so puffed up that I can hardly see. I guess I'll not work with any more walnut.:( The good new is I wore my inhilation protection to my lung didn't get any damage. My son said he would finish the bowl since it what my niece asked for for her wedding which is on Saturday. Just a reminder to wear you PPE. I guess it time to invest the money in a full face respirator.

Not uncommon with walnut. Not everyone is sensitive to it but, I believe, a fairly high percentage of folks are. Suggest you also use precautions with Osage Orange and Red Cedar.

now red cedar the aromatic kind will get me, if i dont turn on the vac..just a cough and hacking stuffed up sasquatch and the only thing that fixes it is time and alot of tissues...

I had a rather severe reaction to red cedar from Arkansas. I had vertigo and felt like I had a bad case of the flu. I was so dizzy i couldn't drive for a few days. Some guy gave me the wood and just wanted a small bowl from it. I actually just thought I had the flu, but a few days later I turned a few turkey strikers from the stuff and all the symptoms came back.

I turned a small walnut bowl for my niece and did most of the sanding on it yesterday. Woke up this moring and my eye are so puffed up that I can hardly see. I guess I'll not work with any more walnut.:( The good new is I wore my inhilation protection to my lung didn't get any damage. My son said he would finish the bowl since it what my niece asked for for her wedding which is on Saturday. Just a reminder to wear you PPE. I guess it time to invest the money in a full face respirator.

You sure it wasn't the second glass of single malt that did it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If the walnut is slightly green it will get you, has happened to me a few times.

I ate some walnuts the other night and at 3 in the morning I was having server pain I got up and spent the next half hour on the crapper. I will not be eating walnuts any long.

If the walnut is slightly green it will get you, has happened to me a few times.

I ate some walnuts the other night and at 3 in the morning I was having server pain I got up and spent the next half hour on the crapper. I will not be eating walnuts any long.
Not the case with this one Dave, the Blank was dry when I got it and it has sat around my shop for a couple of years.

Well after a week of taking benedril and using a benedril cream I still wasn't better so I went to the Doctor yesterday.
He put me on a Hydrocotosone cream $4.00
Nose drops $12
and eye drops $96.00:eek:
and that was with my insurance paying their part.
Felling better today hopefully this will take care of it. That was one expensive bowl my niece got.