Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: jewelry chest in progress

jewelry chest in progress

Here's a couple of pics of a jewelery chest I've been working on for my daughter for WAY to long. It's been one of those work on a few hours then it sits for a few weeks. I've decided it's time to get this thing finished.

The two pics are with the doors leaned against the case and the second is with the drawer fronts just stuck where they go. The two drawer panels where book matched, but when I planed them the color changed. I've got the drawer parts cut and will start on them tonight. It'll have 3 drawers in the bottom. The wood is mahogany and ambrosia maple. When I get ready to hang the doors I'm planning on using knife hinges. I've never used them before so I'll be asking some questions. The big gap at the top of the bottom drawers isn't really that big, it's because I have the fronts pulled forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chest 002 (Medium).jpg   chest 004 (Medium).jpg  

I have those projects to. That is going to be striking. Mahogany and spalted ??? You may have just inspired me to go finish a couple small items that have been ignored for too long. Thanks!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I agree with Glenn. That's going to look sweet when it's done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The wood is amazing and I love the design. Can't wait to see it finished
    Faith, Hope & Charity

John this is going to turn out sweet , and great choice on woods > the door insert is real pretty . Well done .............Marshall
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

john , i learned in a history class, that rome wasnt built in a day, but that it was something spectacular so do fret the time frame on your project.. and when you do book matching with spaulted wood or in this case ambrosia the bugs dont go the same way each time its just the nature of it so your panels are book matched just the bugs had different ides while en route that is gonna be really nice when you get the finish on it,,
    Last edited by larry merlau; 03-06-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for all the comments. I got all the drawers made and assembled. I'm in the waiting on the glue to dry mode.

Here's a couple shots of the drawers finished and fitted.

Thanks Larry for suggesting the wooden runners, once waxed they'll work like a charm.

The dovetails weren't perfect, but they'll do I guess.

I was planning on using 3/8's brass knobs for the drawer pulls. I have several ebony pen blanks and I'm now debating on making the pulls from the ebony. How do you think the ebony would look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails open drawer.JPG   side drawer.JPG   dovetail.JPG  

looks like you made alot of head way there and i think a contrasting knob of ebony might go well with your chest.. make just one and let us see what it would look like..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That is going to be really nice John. Simple brass knobs would be a nice touch. The ebony may be too dark depending on the coloration and the shape. If really black and round the knobs could look like bullet holes. If the ebony is more chocolate and your finish on your drawer faces darkens the pigmentation you could find a nice blend.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke