Thread: Buying mesquite on Ebay

Buying mesquite on Ebay

My advice to anyone considering this is DON'T...unless you know mesquite and what 'highly figured' and 'burl' and 'excellent quality' are as they relate to mesquite. Every so often I peruse the listings just to see what's out there... and most of it is very run of the mill, unfancy material, especially the pen blanks (there are exceptions, of course). I've sent three or four sellers a little note explaining that they're misrepresenting what they have, probably because they just don't know any better. No responses that I recall, but one seller did change their wording.

Along the same lines, I've told several folks to never buy mesquite mail order unless you KNOW who you're dealing with, and they know what you expect. There's still no consistency in the way it's graded, and there are just a whole lot of people out there with a Woodmizer trying to make a bunch of money...and buying a Woodmizer doesn't mean somebody knows how to cut lumber.

That's all... just wanted to contribute something.

KC

Thanks Kirk. A word to the wise....
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

I usually ask to see a couple photos of the wood. In an era of cheap digital cameras, there's no excuse for not being willing to do this. Most of the sellers on the penturners forum are good about posting shots of at least a couple sides of the blanks they offer. I wish more people did.

Cheers,

Kevin

There is a mesquite vendor that is very aggressive and sends e-mails frequently. I automatically delete his. He trolls discussion forums as well. Reportedly, his products are inferior and service unreliable. As always, know who you are dealing with.

I wonder if it's the same one that spams the tools section of Craigslist all over the country.

Cheers,

Kevin

So...you have any recommended sources?
    (Since about the only thing I know about mesquite is, you can't get it here.)
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Lee,
    I get my Mesquite from Chandler hardwoods. 480 802-0429. John Powers is the owner and he has over 60,000 bd.ft. of trees just waiting to be milled up. He kiln dries it after it's cut to size. He does do mail order. Well actually I do have a few turning pieces I harvested my self..;>)
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward