Thread: Tablesaw Router Extension

Tablesaw Router Extension

I posted this picture in a another post:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Router.02.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	43137

and one of our intrepid members asked if I'd post some others so here they are.

Name:	Router.001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	43138

I wrapped the melamine with the oak because it was only 24"wide and the tablesaw was 27" wide.

It was my first attempt at building a cabinet, so it's a little rough, but it works.

Name:	Router.003.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	43139

Name:	Router.004.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	43140

Name:	Router.005.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	43141

I made the fence so that it clamps to the Tablesaw fence.

Name:	Router.008.jpg 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	43144

Name:	Router.007.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	43143

Name:	Router.009.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	43145

It does what I need it to do

Name:	Router.006.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	43142

The switch turns on the router and the vacuum.
    Last edited by Dan Mooney; 03-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

dan one suggestion if its not to late.. i would put a thickness of mdf between the TSaw fence and the RT setup.. your gonna move that fence to close some day and wish you had a backer, back there and mdf is cheaper than a buggered up TSaw fence
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Dan just what i wanted to see. Funny the Larry made the comment on the fence its exactly what i was thinking before i saw his post. So +1 on the backer.

See you have your own version of the dust deputy. Does this hook up to the router side?

Onw more question, do you have your TS and router combo positioned in the middle of your shop?
    cheers

Thanks Dan for reposting. I've been wanting to do something like that and you just inspired me. I would add a piece of extra mdf on your fence to give a little more distance between the bit and your fence. On mine I built a 4" box that attaches to the fence. It gives me room for raised panel bits and for dust collection.

I like your modified shop shop vac. Looks a little like the one I just made.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    dan one suggestion if its not to late.. i would put a thickness of mdf between the TSaw fence and the RT setup.. your gonna move that fence to close some day and wish you had a backer, back there and mdf is cheaper than a buggered up TSaw fence
    Actually it's not quite as close as the picture looks, there is 2 layers of MDF
    and I don't have any bits larger than a radius round over. but I am careful setting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks Dan just what i wanted to see. Funny the Larry made the comment on the fence its exactly what i was thinking before i saw his post. So +1 on the backer.

See you have your own version of the dust deputy. Does this hook up to the router side?

One more question, do you have your TS and router combo positioned in the middle of your shop?
    The "Dust Deputy" is homemade, I stole the idea from one Alan Bienlein posted awhile back. I used off the shelf borg duct work parts to make the cyclone, it is hooked up to the router table, it works very well.

My tablesaw is pretty much in the center of the shop (it's a 2 car garage)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Thanks Dan for reposting. I've been wanting to do something like that and you just inspired me. I would add a piece of extra mdf on your fence to give a little more distance between the bit and your fence. On mine I built a 4" box that attaches to the fence. It gives me room for raised panel bits and for dust collection.

I like your modified shop shop vac. Looks a little like the one I just made.
    I stole the idea from your post I've been storing that vacuum/blower head for years trying to figure out what to do with it. when I saw your post I knew why I still had it. Thanks
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Dan I like the way you have made and set this all up , it's also a room saver too . It's a lot better like this than having a machine for every machinery mode for sure ...... I'll be glad when I get retierd where I'll have more time for such ....thanks for sharing your add on .......Marshall
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

Larry, I took your advice

When I posted this thread last week, Larry pointed out that the tablesaw fence, which supports the router fence, could possibly hit the router bit.

I've been contemplating the thing and came up with this fix without having to rebuilt the whole thing.

This is the original fence without the sliding sections

I cut and fitted a piece of melamine in the hole

Then I tapered the top to hopefully help with the dust flow

I cut and attached melamine to the sliding sections

I also had to put a filler behind the T-Track

and the finished piece. the 4 knobs control the sliding section of the fence.

Thanks for the input Larry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fence001.jpg   Fence002.jpg   Fence003.jpg   Fence007.jpg   Fence008.jpg  

Fence004.jpg   Fence005.jpg   Fence006.jpg   Fence013.jpg  
    Jesus was a Woodworker